Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton's Ghost.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

I've recently had to use Norton Ghost to re-install a XP image after my use / encounter with PartitionMagic. PartitionMagic and BootMagic are such none user friendly programs. I'm trying Acronis now, is seems to be much better.

Anyhow, Norton Ghost seems to be just that, a Ghost of a re-install. The re-install is unstable, changing browser colors even after "fixing" them and making basic OS programs like defrag not work all together.

The concept of being able to do a 10-15 minute re-install from an image instead of a two day total re-install seems like the best idea ever, however, it seems to be just that an idea, a dream of one at that. It doesn't seem possible to get these types of programs to actually work.

So, is there a way to get Ghost to work properly (up to it's concept) and/or is there a better Ghost program out there than Norton's Ghost? Anyone?

Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 22 July 2007 - 11:14 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

In a work related basis I use ghost to re image the machines. This is a good tool to do multimle machine and make deployment of New system and re-builds of old systems from a base image very easy. The problem with it is that it is very hit and miss and can take a while to get working properly and you have to use boot disks or setup LAN PXE boot. This is not what I call a good solution for the home user.

For my home machine and builds that I do for the machines at home. (I am constantly rebuilding machines as I like to play arround and server testing for fun) I use Acronis True image. It is a really good and user friendly backup and imaging tool.
I would recommend this product to anyone and everyone in the home PC market that wishes to image there machines or backup certain parts of their file system effortlessly.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

Ghost is reported to be a good tool (I don't use it myself) - but if there are enough changes to a system after the image is made, it will tend (as will all images) to be a bit unstable.

The caveat when using imaging is that the system must be in an unchanged hardware configuration from the time that the image was made. Although there are ways around this, it's not just a simple as reinstalling the image and letting Windows sort out the differences. Generally, I revert the hardware in a system to the state it was in when I made the image - then, after booting up I'll add the new hardware.

I prefer Acronis True Image for my imaging. I've been using it since v7 (it's at v10 now) and find it easy to use.

Edited by usasma, 24 July 2007 - 07:11 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 gwd

gwd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

Hi,

I've used Ghost lots of times and it's worked for me. However I do have an annoying problem with it. My wife has an NEC A2100 laptop. When I Ghost her machine, the image takes about 30 mins, it rips along at around 800 MB/sec on her backup Western Digital USB drive.

I also have an NEC. It's the next model, an NEC E3100. Yet Ghost is struggling to achieve 80MB/sec. I don't know why. I use identical settings but it's 10 times slower.

And yes, I have tried using the USB 2 setting!

Any suggestions are welcome.

--gwd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users