Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Huntbar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hi all, I have a computer that belongs to a friends daughter which had "a virus", between AVG, Spybot S&D, Aaware, and Asquared I have removed over four hundred items, but Spybot can't seem to deal with the HuntBar. It will find it but can't get rid of it, it suggests to reboot and it will take care of it when the computer reboots, it then fails. If was suggested that I use Spyhunter which worked in locating it but I would have to purchase the utility in order to get rid of it.

Does anyone know of a free utility that will get rid of this? This is the only infection left...that I'm aware of.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hi dc3,

PC Hell Offers two suggestions for removing the Huntbar, the second one being HijackThis.

How to Remove Huntbar or Search Toolbar.

How to Remove Wintools (A variant of Huntbar).
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,597 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi TMack, I found those last night, the add/remove method won't work because none of the three names are listed. I would rather find a free utility that will get rid of this, if not I will try the registry fix.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

You haven't mentioned trying SUPERAntiSpyware.

It detects a variety of Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits and many other types of threats.
Run it in Safe Mode and allow it to quarantine anything it finds.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,597 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hi TMack, one of the problems is that there were so many infections that I had trouble getting into safe mode, I was able to get into safe mode this morning and delete the HunBar...I hope from the system. Apparently this is one tenacious type of spyware and it is suggested that in order to truly get rid of this you need to remove it from the registry. I'm going to get this puppy on line and up date all programs now and run them in safe mode now that I can and we will see what transpires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users