Background. Mom's new machine which I built (been building PCs for years) and due to a motherboard switch I did the repair XP method on the hard drive swap. Everything looked good, did latests updates etc.
Now general browsing using Explorer works fine, but if I go to 'store' sites like Futureshop, LL Bean etc. I get DLL errors when moving between pages (sometimes right away sometimes a few pages in) and iexplorer shutdowns (no system crash) due to NTDLL.DLL error (event 1000). MS support has various things on these DLLs but not really clear what the problem is.
Tried downloading and replacing that DLL (backed it up) but then MSHTML.DLL has an error. Funny thing though as according to version numbers I was replacing identical DLLs, but the error still moved to the next DLL. Replaced that one and yet another DLL gave problems and stability was even worse. Stopped here and restored the DLLs so at least the surfing is back. I also tried deleting all temp internet files. Installed Firefox so she can do her shopping for now
Latest changes I can think of before the problem, security downloads and Office Word and Outlook (full version) install. But did the same install on my system no problems.
XP SP2, Explorer 7, all latest updates done. Spyware, adware clean (or should be), AV always running and latest scan was clear, no dumb 'fun' programs/utils on machine (clean XP).