Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A Good Backup Software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

Its orite if u laugh at me, but ive neva used any backup for my laptop and desktop before, cuz i thought i would neva get infected. I am a medium user, which i am quite familiar dealing with viruses and malwares, which I know which sites not to go, and how to get rid of them if i get one (neva failed). Both my PCs were running at their peak performances until yesterday my laptop's hard drive corrupted badly (too old). Which i can still use a bootable media, but I know i would have to change the hard drive eventually, so I am here to ask for a good backup software that can just copy my entire hard drive fast and restore fast even if i cant boot, and takes the smallest volume of archive.

i have done search on backup software, but they are all quite similar i cant tell the diff. And i am currently using Acronis True Image Home 10.0, but it takes about 20gigs to backup my entire hard drive, which i cant fit it in, my desktop's hard drive is only about 45gigs.

any suggestions? soz about the long post. :thumbsup:

Also, is it possible to boot from an USB pen drive? I tried but it didnt work like a CD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:58 AM

You'll find that most commercial imaging programs will use up alot of available resources.

What about using the Backup Program on XP Home Edition.

How to Use the Backup Utility For Windows XP to Back Up Files and folders.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:54 AM

thx for the reply. i tried it, but it still took quite a long time and more than 30gigs, which it doesnt seem to have the compress backup option. Are there any software that backup faster and more efficient?

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

This should work:

How to Backup and Restore your Data using Cobian Backup.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

is it ok to put the backup files in the same CD or DVD as the bootable media? Also, the best compression is about 1/3 of my hard drive (<19gigs), does that mean i need about 5 DVDs(4.7gigs) to fit them all in?

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Not sure about using multiple DVD's with this backup utility.This works with some backup programs but not all.
Guess you could try....worse case scenario is ending up with five DVD coasters! (kidding)
Would this fit onto your Pen Drive?

An External Hard Drive would be the answer, they aren't very expensive and come in very handy.

Perhaps another member will post an answer to this question.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

I have two pen drives but they are only 1gig each. Yeah, I am considering to get a portable HD.

BTW, I am using Deep freeze, which it copies drives in seconds but they dont seem to provide backup options, I wonder why that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users