Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Is Sad, Cell Phones Going Off During Important Things!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

Okay so we went to a guys wedding or rather his 25 anniversary where he and his wife redid their vows.

During the 1 hour or so service in the tent outside next to his farm 6 times a cell phone went off and some of them may have been from the same people.

This just annoys me. Why cant people just leave them in the car? You want to know the time buy a watch because before you can take out that phone and
hit a button I can look at my wrist and tell the time.

I mean 6 times! :thumbsup:

I have been in church and they go off. LEAVE THEM IN THE CAR if you wont put them on silent or vibrate.

Anyone else notice this and get annoyed?

I was telling my dad they have wireless scramblers for people who dont shut their phones off but then I now read they are illegal....

http://www.forbes.com/2001/05/29/0529tentech.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

You seem to take this personally. Many people cannot turn off their work phones, no matter where they go. A few years ago I was the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor and the deal I had with my boss was that I got a company phone and that it would be on 24/7 and I would handle all breakdowns (OT was doubled for after hours calls). My Mom cannot turn her phone off because she is incharge of something important dealing with marker buoys on the lake (I dont really listen its way too complex for "Here's a floating light that we put in all the shallow and No Wake coves"). My Bosses now cant because I might have to call them on a Saturday to Deadline a truck or something can go wrong (fire, accident, DOT check, etc ) that they are required to do something about.

BTW: Why bother with vibrate getting up to answer the call is just as distracting as the ringtone.

Posted Image

#3 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:38 AM

My phone is always on silent/vibrate. However I agree with BlackSpyder, people will notice me if I suddenly walked out, mumbling about "my phone..." in certain situations. e.g. I don't have it on while working cus the vibrate seems to make the zips on my pockets buzz! And once I was carrying a tray of hot drinks and I started vibrating.... :flowers: hehe luckily I kept my balance.

One funny thing happened tho. My English teacher had a v strict no mobiles policy and I ensured my phone was always in silent mode at school. However in English class one day, I dropped my pencil and as I bent down to pick it up, I must have leant on the "Play" Button (I have a Walkman phone) and my tunes started blasting from my pocket :thumbsup: But she was kind enough to return my phone at the end of class after many apologies.... I was so embarrased :| I now ensure that while my phone is set to silent, I have my Walkman volume turned off too! hehe :trumpet:

Psycho-babble attack!
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

In many cities and venues, CGM, there are either ordinances or signs strictly limiting use of cellphones in certain places. Nothing is more annoying than sitting in a decent restaurant and having the cellphones of the people sitting at the next table go off every twenty minutes and listening to them babble in slightly loud voices with friends about absolutely nothing. Or at the cinema. Or in court.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

No offense to those who have picked up this habit, but the people that yell into their phones like trying to outyell the person on the other end while at the same time their phone's speaker allows you to hear the other person talking really gets to me anywhere.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

I can understand having to have your cell phone on if you are on call for work, somethings in this world don't come to a screaching halt just because it may intrude at an inconvenient time. However, as jg has stated, it is one of the most annoying sounds in the world to hear a cell phone ringing in the middle of what should have been a nice meal out!! I expect babies within the next 5 years or so to be born with cell phones preattached. How did we ever survive without being on the phone constantly?? :thumbsup:

My greatest peeve ( it goes way beyond a "pet" peeve) is the idiots that can't walk and chew gum at the same time but think they can operate a vehicle just fine while talking on the phone to Pookey baby about last nights date!!! Now as far as I can see that date is no reason to put me in danger while you blab away. There have been many times that there have been wrecks barely avoided involving someone on a cell phone not paying attention to the road. Scares me kids and I'm fearless!! :flowers:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

Three people in a car, what appeared to be a grandmother, a mother and a daughter, all on the phone at the same time. I mean wow people what is going on? Is your attention span so urgently small that you have to call THAT instant?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

I always have to have my phone on and on full blast (due to what I do as a job *Cust. Service for a mining spares company*) I get calls @ 2am-5am all the time when I'm sleeping and I don't have a choice but to answer .... but yea for people who just have it on for family and friends to call they should be more respectful during certain cerimonies/quiet areas... <--- I always turn on low so i don't grab everybodies attention during these :thumbsup:

Turi I had the same thing happen to me put it was my dad calling during class (when i was in Highschool) he even knew i had class but kept ringing the phone i tried to pass it off as somebody elses phone going off but when it went 3 times in a row i had my phone taken away and was given 2 weeks detention >.< (catholic highschool = tough rules/strict punishments :flowers:)

Edited by jball007, 24 July 2007 - 03:59 PM.

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users