Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Is Black

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spottap

spottap

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

I hope someone can help me out here. My brother has a Fujitsu Lifebook laptop that has windows xp installed on it. It was working beautifully last sunday, then he took it to a computer store to get updates put on it. Then he got it back yesterday and he used it last nite and it was working, except for the shift keys. Then this morning he turned it on and the screen was black, you could barely see the desktop. What could be the problem. I tried to see if i put my monitor on the laptop, if it would show the desktop on that, but it didnt. But the little green lite on the monitor that is usually steady, was blicking. If someone could give me some help i would appreciate it. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi Spottap. The main clue here seems to be that you can "barely" see the desktop. This indicates that the LCD backlight has gone on the fritz. The backlight needs professional servicing. BTW, the updating that was done to it had absolutely nothing to do with the backlight circuitry failing.

Still, you should have been able to get an external monitor to show the desktop. I suspect that there is a combination of keys you need to push to activate the VGA output the external monitor was hooked to, similar to my Dell (Fn-F8). See the owner's manual.

#3 pcguy_jim

pcguy_jim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

I see this on a lot of Dell Latitude D600 laptops. The backlight on the LCD goes out without warning. The screen often looks very, very dim. Only cure, replace the LCD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users