Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lost Google, Firefox, Toolbar Settings And More; Computer Running Slower

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

I must have done something.....
I opened Firefox and everything was very plain. No add ons, no crazy overloaded toolbar, the settings looked like default and my computer was running slower. I've recently downloaded a few trial programs but not a lot of changes besides combining and renaming picture and document files (which is a constant thing I'm always doing to stay organized). I checked this forum and another regarding the problem and followed advice given to others. I read about how Firefox loses setting when closed improperly so I've uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it. No improvement. I uninstalled the trial programs (windows repair pro? and spyware terminator). When I first checked on Control Panel, add/delete programs, the Spyware Terminator was listed at using 7,488 MB. That is crazy! And is it even possible? I immediately deleted it.

I've also cleared unneccessary start up/services programs.

I know there are resources that give ten easy steps to a faster running computer and so on but I'd like to check with you guys to see if there is anything besides what I've mentioned and defragging, reboot, etc. that I can check on to see if some unknown change happened to cause the computer to slow down and the loss of my internet settings. I don't understand toolbar organization other than what you can do under customize so I may have screwed up by downloading too many addons.

Please consider offering any advice even if it doesn't address the whole issue. I appreciate your views and look forward to any help you can offer.

Edit: Oh, I did open the Run, Regedit but didn't make any changes. I know to stay out of the registry, I usually do, but I was following a tutorial/advice trying to change the default on something(eliminating temp. files) Again, I did not change anything.

Thanks.

Edited by tillytoo9, 21 July 2007 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

Hi, tillytoo9, lets try to clean up your machine, lets start with Dr Web Cure it, please follow these directions carefully, Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
  • Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
  • Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
  • Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
  • Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
  • Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
  • When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
    (This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
  • Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)
, Again please follow the instructions exactly, as you are working in safe mode, and will not have access to the internet, Thank You

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

I think the install and uninstall of Spyware Terminator has caused a lot of damage to your programs and Windows.
You can try a complete uninstall of Firefox (including your profile) and reinstall.
Check your windows for missing or corrupt files, too. Then any programs you are having problems with will need to be reinstalled.
Reading around on the web, you will find many with the same problems caused by Spyware Terminator. If you used the registry cleaner it could be part of the problem, too.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

Sorry-
I've been unable to get back to this forum. I've been reading it the last few days but for some embarrassing reason that I do not know; I forgot where I posted (which forum?) I've been on Mozilla and a google forum also.
So, I found this now and this afternoon I'll do it and get back to you.

This is very nice of you to help. Thank you.
tilly

#5 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

Well, this is strange.

When I pressed F8 I did get to the Safe Mode screen however the arrows did not move the highlighted area. 'Start Windows Normally' was highlighted. The next time I restarted it another screen came up after F8. It read, 'Please select your operating system to start'. Windows XP was highlighted=it was the only line of text. Arrows didn't work on this screen either. I restarted several more times and the two screens alternated. In all cases I was unable to make any changes. Nothing worked except restarting from the actual computer button.

any more thoughts?

tilly

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hi, tillytoo9, glad to see that you came back. If you are unable to run the dr web scan in safe mode, just run it in regular mode.

If you need replies to this topic, just click the options button dropdown in the upper right of this thread, click track this topic, click the immediate email, then click proceed. you should then start receiving emails for everything that is posted here.

#7 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

I did it!
I entered safemode through msconfig.

Here is the results:
PongPongInsectsPlants-dm.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Mamie\Desktop;Adware.TryMedia;;

There were a few more but when I selected cure it must've taken care of them. There was a trojan something.
Also, when I restored to regular mode upon and arrived at desktop a window to register PC Pitstop popped up. It suggested I register to take care of these problems: 151287 junk files, not optimized for high speed, 72 registry errors, 4 registry keys could be adjusted for system boost.

I must've downloaded the trial at one time but I've never seen the pop up window before. It could be irrelevant but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks again for sticking with me.

I'll wait for my next instructions.

Tilly

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

Good thing you did not register. In my experience PC pitstop does not have anything to do with adware/spyware/registry errors being found. It sounds more like you have a rogue application, try rogue remover:
  • Please download Rogue Remover Free from Malwarebytes.
  • Please save the file to your normal saved file location or the desktop
  • double click on rr-free-setup to run the installation program
  • accept the license agreement.
  • follow all the steps and click finish to run the program
  • Click the check for updates link
  • click the scan link to start scanning
  • when done, follow the onscreen directions to remove anything that it found.
Let us know your results, please.

#9 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

Will do now.
thanks again.

#10 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

Scan complete. Nothing found.

However, still cannot download add ons and yet to recover any past settings.

Anymore ideas?

Thank you.
Tilly

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hi, tillytoo9, try using the Preparation Guide for use before posting a hijack this log. This should clear most of the common infections from your machine, and if you still continue to have this problem, please post a hijack this log according to the instructions given in the guide.

#12 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

OK, read it and will begin working on it. I may already have Hijack This.

I have a few questions. How do you know that the listed software is good? I'm sure you'll point out trial and error or you may know the program's author but how do I know? How does one discriminate between the hundreds of programs available?

Next, do you think the problem I have with Firefox is multi faceted or simply malware? Some of the forums/comments discussing FF complain of the new upgrade-

Last, I will be unable to make updates to XP. I'm not sure if you read my profile but I noted that I purchased xp on ebay a couple of years ago. I found out a few months later that I bought a NON genuine version. I have had problems with it- not a lot but some. The way I see it I have two decent options. Buy a new semi basic laptop and deal with my desktop problems while using it as a second/backup/kid's computer. Or keep the desktop updated by installing xp and maybe getting another HD. I have a 40 and a 280ish for backup/files/pictures. I'd like to have a larger one for the OS and keep the backup as is. although I could install xp on larger hard drive, correct? Am I correct that the reason most people have HD seperate is concern for viruses and other problems where you could lose important info? Not sure what to do and wouldn't know how to uninstall/reinstall xp anyway. Just curious if you had any thoughts.
I'm so revved up to find someone to help me!!!

Tilly

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

I think that most of your issues involve malware. There is a new version of hijack this, that is the link that is pointed to in the guide. As far as the programs available, just ask here about the program, plus bleeping computer has the tested freeware list. As far as firefox, on this machine here, there have been no problems at all.

As far as updating XP, you can still receive all critical updates.

On the Hard drives, this one I am using right now is a RAID 5, (6 x 18gig) and I have only used about 30 gig, all the family pics, etc are on NAS, about the same idea as a second hard drive. this way is mainly for data backup and security. I think your setup is nice as it is.

On your wga validation failure, M$ charges a lot less if you get a new CD from them along with a valid produce key If i remember correctly XP pro is about 150.00. this Cheap Old B------ here would keep the computer, and just get windows valid, as you can also purchase OEM copies from newegg of XP home or pro, and there is always ebay.

#14 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Still working on the problem but nothing to report. I haven't had much "alone time" as school just started this morning and my son wants to do everything with me. I should be able to spend some time trying to fix this. I'll post again when I have some more news.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Tilly

#15 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

step3.gif - Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Go to "Start" -> "Run" and type in the box: "cleanmgr". Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press "Ok" to remove:

* Temporary Files
* Temporary Internet Files
* Recycle Bin

Once this is done, how can you tell?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users