Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Is It Possible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blueraider

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

I have a emachine that the mobo is dead and a friend with a hp that power supply has died. what i am wanting to know is if i get a new PS for the hp can i used parts from the emachine such as hard drive and ram on the hp. since i uploaded all my hard drive items to the dell i really don't need it anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

It depends on the part. you should be able to use hard drives, optical drives, etc. power supplies on both machines may be proprietary, and the ram may be the wrong type to switch, it depends of what kind is used on each machine.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,173 posts
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

Taking the hdd from one computer and installing it in another one can create a problem which can corrupt the operating system badly enough that you will need to reinstall it, at best you will probably need to do a repair of the installation. If you have the CD for the OS I would wipe the drive with a utility like Kill Disk and start with a fresh installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users