Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuk In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Badcat

Badcat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Howdy folks! First time poster here and I'm seriously stuck! My home computer is a sony vaio with windows XP HE and it picked up a few viruses. I was following the directions from nortons to remove them. I first turned off the system restore then ran the scan and followed the directions to start in Safe mode and run scan again. I went through the control panel - system -msconfig route to select /safeboot. Afterwards the computer restarted, I choose f8 selected safe mode and XP HE. opened adminastrator and was given a dialog box about continuing in safe mode "yes or no". I choose yes and 1 and a half hours later all I have to show is a black screen with "safe mode" in all four corners and has "microsoft®windows XP ® build2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:servicepack2) across the top.

Help Please!!!!

Edited by Badcat, 21 July 2007 - 06:05 PM.

Badcat

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything except to bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

Howdy folks! First time poster here and I'm seriously stuck! My home computer is a sony vaio with windows XP HE and it picked up a few viruses. I was following the directions from nortons to remove them. I first turned off the system restore then ran the scan and followed the directions to start in Safe mode and run scan again. I went through the control panel - system -msconfig route to select /safeboot. Afterwards the computer restarted, I choose f8 selected safe mode and XP HE. opened adminastrator and was given a dialog box about continuing in safe mode "yes or no". I choose yes and 1 and a half hours later all I have to show is a black screen with "safe mode" in all four corners and has "microsoft®windows XP ® build2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:servicepack2) across the top.

Help Please!!!!

Can you get to task manager? If so you can click shutdown and have some options there.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

Is the /SAFEBOOT option now unchecked in the System Configuration Utility?

Try the "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode logon options.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Badcat

Badcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:23 PM

I made it into task manager. I don't seem to get anywhere with restarting and trying to Start windows normally. Any ideas on how to get out of safe mode?

Edited by Badcat, 22 July 2007 - 12:40 AM.

Badcat

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything except to bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

Is the /SAFEBOOT option now unchecked in the System Configuration Utility?

Try the "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode logon options.

Did you try the options set out in post #3?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users