Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting Together A Game Machine!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ohgrx

ohgrx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'm currently putting together a new 64 bit computer. I'm wondering which operating system I should install on it? I would like to get the most performance out of what I have
Current components that I have:

- ABIT KN9 SLI NVIDIA Socket AM2 (940) ATX Motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.80GHz Socket AM2 OEM

- OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz memory

- 2 XFX GeForce 8500 GT / 256MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DL DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Cards

- Seagate / Barracuda 7200.10 / 500GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive

- Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SuperAllwrite Retail Lightscribe DVD Burner - 20x DVDR Burn, 16x DVDR Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVDR DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x24x CD-R/RW, Black, SATA

- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

Seeing you only have 2gigs of ram you may as well stay with Windows XP, which is still the best gaming OS. Now if you had 4gigs of memory i would suggest Vista 64 bit which would allow you to see and use all 4 gigs. I'm using Vista x64 and 4gigs and i'm not seeing many of the problem that most people report with vista64 and gaming is very good. On saying that i would suggest you stick with XP if gaming is all you do.

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

Gaming on xp > gaming on vista no questions asked. . .At least for now. Maybe when directx 10 catches on. . .But for now I'd stick with xp. I would go with a sata harddrive instead if your mobo supports it, and maybe get two smaller drives instead of one big one. I run one drive strictly for the OS, one for programs and stuff like that, and one for photo and movie storage. Running more than one helps with organization and fragmentation, and speeds up your OS.

Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

IME the major competition for disk access is the pagefile. As such, I put my pagefile on a separate drive from the OS. Since it's small, it only takes up a small part of my storage drive - and it's placed on the fastest portion of the disk to decrease lag time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users