Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Linux And Flashdrive / Thumbdrive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JentMonkey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have an old laptop that currently has a broken install of Windows XP on it -- and I'd like to remove XP from it completely and install some version of Linux. I want to be able to transfer word processing files on a flashdrive from my Windows XP Computer and my (hopefully) Linux laptop.

I've not used Linux before, but before I bought software someone told me that Linux doesn't work well with flashdrives at this point, and that I wouldn't be able to transfer my word processing files back and forth as I'd like.

Is this true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

utnrue. Although it does depend if it is set up to auto detect it. I use my flash drive from computers at work to my linux boxes at home all of the time. And, all I do is plug 'em in.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

Flash Drives are well supported in Linux (as Joedude said) but the thing to watch is the format of the Flashdrive (FAT/FAT32/NFTS) some Flashdrives are formatted as NFTS (my 2gb PNY was for some reason when I bought it) which can present an issue in order to read and write from them. Check and make sure that your flash drive is formatted FAT or FAT32 to fix this issue.

Posted Image

#4 thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

but it does depend on the way your distro is setup if you are using something like gentoo and you new at this you will probobly have a hard time of it , b/c automount isnt setup, which distro are you planning on using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users