Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fire Sparks On Usb Port...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lignite

lignite

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

The usb port on my HP laptop today had sparks coming out on start up. A error message was displayed.I had disabled the USB root hub ports, still there are sparks now and then. The laptop has only 2 ports hence im stuck.Tried fixing it up with HP as i had noted occassional sparks within a month of purchase.they ended up saying i had to repalce the mother board.Is there any other way i could use usb devices??please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Do you have a PCMIA slot?
New Egg
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lignite

lignite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

if it is a pc card slot..then yes.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Click on the link I gave you
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 lignite

lignite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

Ran down to the local store,got the pci card with usb.Works fine..Thanks. But my original 2 ports is hot at melting point,even after i had disabled them.I feel cheated by HP for this.Cant get help from them although it is still covered by warranty.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

If it's under warranty they have to fix it. Call them let them know to expect it in the mail, if they refuse to fix it properly send it to a local repair shop (HP certified) to get it fixed. Then follow the legal system to get your money back (if the local shop cant get HP to warranty it).

Its a PITA, I know I deal with it everyday (currently I've got ~40 warranty jobs at my shop but thats a different industry)

Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Be sure they understand that it's shorting out and heating up without any devices plugged into it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 lignite

lignite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

thanks for your help guys.I had written a follow up letter to the CEO of HP and every other customer help mail id available on their web site and to my surprise i had been contacted by phone by their service company,also an apology letter by email,with full charges whatsoever to be covered under warranty!!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

" a squeaky wheel gets the most grease". Glad it's going to be resolved
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

I'm glad to hear that your issue was resolved. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic