Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fsubulldog

fsubulldog

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

How do I preform this action?

To restore the default Windows logon interface, remove the following string value from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

If you're trying to restore Fast User Switching try Kelly's Korner.

Restore Fast User Switching - #34 on the left.

As this is a registry edit you should backup the registry first.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fsubulldog

fsubulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

I don't know how to 'backup' anything accept a car. The web page does not give me step by step instructions on how to perform these actions. where do I need to go to access Regedits?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

Demystifying the Windows Registry
The most important portion of that tutorial is:

Understanding and knowing how to backup the Registry is an important part of keeping your computer secure and running efficiently. It must be stressed that modifying any portion of the Registry should be done with the utmost care as incorrect usage of the Registry could make your computer inoperable.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 fsubulldog

fsubulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

Animal,

Thanks for the heads up there.

I went to my reedit and I don't have this string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

I have everything except the GinaDLL part.

Any other reason I might not be able to switch users. It used to work a couple of months ago.
Can anyone recomend some software or online stuff to check for hacks or viruses or worms or whatever I might have that is throwing my computer out of whack?

I have Symantic anivirus and firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users