Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Video Driver?!?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Downloaded the most recent NVIDIA driver for my computer. As usual, went to uninstall the display driver using Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. It's not there! This is odd because I have no problems with the video on the computer, am able to play games, etc, but apparently the driver isn't installed? Think it's safe to install the new one anyway? Am I missing something here?

Thanks
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Drivers most of the time don't show up in add/remove programs. . .If your computer runs fine then why do you need to uninstall it?

Posted Image

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

Well sure it runs fine, but one should always keep drivers up-to-date, especially video drivers. Also, the video driver SHOULD appear in the add/remove programs control panel. That's what's troubling me.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Oh ok now I get it, I thought you meant you installed the most recent ones and THEN wanted to uninstall them. Got me all confused. I'm not really good with drivers, so I'd wait for someone else to help you out. Although you could check out one of the driver cleaning programs, I'm sure they could help you.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Go to Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Scroll down to the display adapter and click on the + sign there. Then right click on your video card and select Properties. Then click on the Driver tab to see what driver is installed.

The nVidia drivers should show in Add/Remove Programs - so this may indicate a problem with the installation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

They're both there, with the previous driver installed from NVIDIA (October). I have the most recent update sitting on my desktop like an electronic paperweight, ha! I did see an option for uninstalling the driver, though, should I use that?

Also, I have an SLi system with 2 video cards installed. Do I need to uninstall both or just one (and that will automatically do both?)

Thanks

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with SLI. Maybe one of the other members can help out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

Well, I won't do anything until I know for sure. Last thing I want to do is muck up the works and re-install the sucker.

#9 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Okay, I'm trying again, especially now that I've downloaded the BioShock demo. I definitely have to install the latest video drivers, but at the moment, I can't due to being unable to uninstall my old drivers because they're not showing up in the Add/Remove Programs list!

So...please help!

Actually, on second thought, can I just install the new driver or is it absolutely required that I uninstall the old one?

*EDIT* I think I know what happened now. I bought and ran DriverCleaner some time ago and I believe I unknowingly removed the display driver from the add/remove programs list. Is there a workaround for this?

Edited by Venek, 22 August 2007 - 04:56 PM.

#10 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Never mind, I solved my own problem. I used DriverCleaner to remove all NVIDIA drivers and just reinstalled them with the CD that came with the video card, THEN uninstalled that vid driver and updated with the new one. Problem solved. Hope this helps anyone else out there encountering similar problems.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

Glad to hear that it worked for you! Driver Cleaner is a good program - but it's not normally used when troubleshooting these problems. Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users