Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Gateway Laptop With Windows Vista Home Basic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farout1977

farout1977

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

I have Avira, Spybot, Startup Mechanic, and Ad Aware installed on my old laptop (as recommended by a BC administrator). I want to safe guard my new laptop with the same programs. I'm having trouble, tho. When I try to dl any of the programs, and save them, the dl box disappears. I can't them anyway, so I'm assuming the DL didn't work. I didn't really care to get Vista, but it came preinstalled on this laptop. Any advice or suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:58 AM

Hi farout, so what you are saying is that when you go to download and install a program the install bosx disapears correect? Sounds like you might have to log on as Admin and give yourself Admin rights.
Go to computer>right click >properties>ursers and give Admin a password then log on as Admin and make youself an Adminstrator.
MCP
MSDST

#3 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hi farout, so what you are saying is that when you go to download and install a program the install bosx disapears correect? Sounds like you might have to log on as Admin and give yourself Admin rights.
Go to computer>right click >properties>ursers and give Admin a password then log on as Admin and make youself an Adminstrator.

Hey Monty!
Thanks for the advice. I was already set up as the administrator, but I tried what you suggested anyway. When I go to "computer" andright click, and the go to "properties", it takes me to the SYSTEM folder. I didn't see any "user" tab in the system folder.

I have only logged onto BC since I started having the probs, because I too afraid to go anywhere else on the net w/out virus/malware/spyware protection!

Does anyone else have any more recommendations? I think I mentioned before that I used Avira on my old laptop, and I really liked it. Anything else comparable out there??

Thanks!!! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users