Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Bios Lost?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

Hi All. I have a 2 year old Fujitsu Scaleo P with a Gigabyte GA-8S649MF mobo. This computer did not come with a floppy installed but when you switch it on it says something along the lines of 'Bios checksum error, cannot find floppy drive'.
I assumed from this that the bios was corrupt and tried to find a flash for it but with no joy whatsoever! Not from Googleing it, from Fujitsu or Gigabyte. I believe Gigabyte made the board for Fujitsu then disowned it for support as now have Fujitsu by the look of it. Anyway I have installed a floppy and can run AWDflash but don't have the bios. If any of you folks can help I'd appriciate your time.

Edited by sparkyuiop, 21 July 2007 - 09:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

The bios checksum error means that the flopy was enabled in the bio's and it didnt find one. This could also be because of a low CMOS battery. I tried the Gigabyte website and came up with nothing. On the Fujitsu siemens website I can't continue without the device serial number. Try and look your bios information up Here.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

The bios checksum error means that the flopy was enabled in the bio's and it didnt find one. This could also be because of a low CMOS battery. I tried the Gigabyte website and came up with nothing. On the Fujitsu siemens website I can't continue without the device serial number. Try and look your bios information up Here.

Thanks for your help there. It doesn't matter if I disable the floppy, it still wants one before it will proceed any further. It will also only boot from a floppy in it's present condition. The serial number is: YSSP534925. I have tried to type this in myself but it says the number is not valid! It is definatly correct though and origional. Thanks for taking the time to help here.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Did you attempt to flash the BIOS before this problem occurred? If so, you may have used the wrong flash file and may have corrupted the BIOS chip on the mobo. You'll have to try a flash with a correct BIOS update to see if this can correct the problem (this may not work).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

http://download.fujitsu-siemens.com/COM/su...oductname=&

that's the ID Number

Edited by DaChew, 22 July 2007 - 07:10 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

You can always expect BIOS updates to be sourced from the system manufacturer not the OEM board manufacturer, as the system manufacturer supplies their own custom BIOS for the boards.

Definitely take the most likely actions to resolve the checksum error (clear the CMOS with the CLR_CMOS jumper in case of CMOS memory data corruption, and/or replace CMOS backup battery) before resorting to trying an update.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the link Chewy but I have downloaded this b4 and it's a 3.16mb RAR file with nothing in it. Or am I doing something wrong?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

it's a bootable iso image optimized for burning with nero

at least that's what magic iso says
Chewy

#9 bmw318iman

bmw318iman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

Re: Motherboard bios loss?
I had a similar problem with my Gigabyte GA-8TX motherboard several months ago. For me it was a nightmare trying to access the internet for help with the bios on my laptop (kept overheating and cutting out). After literally weeks of trying I sent for one of those diagnostic pci boards.
While trying to decifer the various codes it pumped out, I stumbled on a piece of info about IDE cables, now mine had worked for several years, (to cut the story short) but changed them all and hey presto, the board was again talking to the Hard-drive.
I know that this can be taken as a an unlikely fix, but it worked, and I eventually proved the fault on another pc. At about 2-3 for new cables it's even worth changing them every couple of years, even if they are still working. The fault with the cable (ribbon really) had caused so many data errors on the harddrive it had become next to useless, so a new one was introduced and fed software, and it's now purring like a kitten, and charging off like a jaguar.
The old hard-drive has been re-formatted and is again in use as a storage drive.

Don't assume - CHECK! :thumbsup:

Edited by bmw318iman, 23 July 2007 - 08:30 PM.

#10 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:49 AM

It's not that! Thanks anyway though.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:25 AM

have you tried burning the iso?

imgburn would do it if you don't have nero
Chewy

#12 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

When I open the file with Nero, it shows nothing in the files box. Also how can I boot that image when it will only boot from the floppy. There is no option to boot from the CD and bios is unenterable. Thanks for all your help guys.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

tell nero to burn a disk image, that's what an iso is

platypus told you to reset your bios in an earlier post

you should put a little more effort into this project as it's your computer that's messed up, not ours

sorry to be blunt but we seem to be going in circles here and getting nowhere
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users