Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage (wga)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eggway

eggway

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:54 AM

i have a computer with window xp home, there is a Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) Notifications saying that the window maybe counterfeiting. i would like to know if i can do a repair to the window using the original XP CD. would i be able to remove the (WGA) Notifications?? Thankz...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

Use this link to validate your copy of Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/promotion...vantage_us.mspx

If it shows up as invalid there should be info there on how to contact Microsoft to validate it (as long as it is a genuine, legal copy of Windows).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

That is not what i mean. i mean that the pre-installed OS have the (WGA) Notifications alert. I have the original XP CD. can i do a repair to that pre-installed window?? will the repair remove the alert and enable the window update??

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

If this is a genuine, legal copy of Windows, the easiest fix would be (as I mentioned above) to contact Microsoft through the link that I provided. Otherwise, I would think that this is an attempt to bypass the activation for purposes of updating an illegal copy of Windows. That's against the forum rules here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Misunderstanding again. The per-installed OS (desktop computer) does not come with the CD. i myself have the original CD which the OS was used in my current laptop and was able to update. Can i use the CD to repair the desktop computer. After repair, i would need to input my CD key into the OS.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

If you have valid CD keys for each computer and the system on the laptop is the same as the system on the desktop (XPHome, XPPro, XP Media Center Edition) - then "generally" it will work to repair the system. But there are more variables to this, such as the version of the installation CD (no SP, SP1, SP1a, SP2) and the type of CD (Upgrade, OEM, full retail, etc)

Worst case is that it won't let you do the repair - so give it a shot and see.

#7 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

Both are working on XP home sp2. The CD i have is full retail. so the result should be successful?

#8 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

The pre-installed operating system on your desktop has a different key compared to the CD for your laptop. Both are genuine but have different keys. Therefore, you cannot repair the desktop with the laptop CD. You may try and see if the manufacturer will supply you with one, or there must be atleast be a recovery drive on your desktop for repair or reinstall issues.

Bobang

in all things be men

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

When doing a repair install, the system may ask you for the Product key. You must use the product key that is for the system that you're working on - if you use the same key on 2 machines Microsoft will flag it as illegal when you visit Windows Update.

#10 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

how do i find the current CD key that is in the desktop??

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

The CD key should be on sticker adhered to the case. In the event that there isn't one, then use this free program to find out what the key is: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users