Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Mp4 Format

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MC MITCHIE

MC MITCHIE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

I just upgraded to windows xp from 98
so now Ive got only windows media player with does not play mp4 on it
when I had 98 Im sure it played them but I also had nero player and real player
I just got real player on xp yesterday but it wont play mp4 it says I need to download more stuff for it or something

is there any player which I can download once and not need to keep downloading because I havent got the net at home so its all being stored on a disk for my mates com
so its a bit crap going back an 4th
ME AND COMPUTERS NEVER GO
WATCH OUT THAT COMPUTERS GONNA BLOW!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

Download and install FFDShow. It should let you watch most stuff on Windows Media Player.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:22 AM

FFDShow even fixed my nero vision(3.x version) and showtime

for a few files I use media player classic

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

dislike media player, can't stand quick time or real player, both border on being malware
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

dislike media player, can't stand quick time or real player, both border on being malware

Lmao!!

Quicktime player haha. I don't mind it...Quicktime'll play it though, if worst comes to worst i'd use that :thumbsup:

There are heaps of media players that play Mp4.
  • Songbird
  • jetAudio
  • iTunes
  • Winamp
  • MPlayer
  • Banshee Music Player
  • 3ivx
  • KSP Sound player
to name a few... Take your pic.

#5 MC MITCHIE

MC MITCHIE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

ok thanks guys one of them work dont know which one like but they work now thanks

oh I also added bs.player (free) that seems to be playing most stuff (videos)
p.s whats malware?

Edited by MC MITCHIE, 22 July 2007 - 07:44 AM.

ME AND COMPUTERS NEVER GO
WATCH OUT THAT COMPUTERS GONNA BLOW!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

mal is taken from french meaning bad

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10087
Chewy

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Malware:

Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.

Sometimes, spyware is lumped into this category.

Spyware:

Any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet; however, it should be noted that the majority of shareware and freeware applications do not come with spyware. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.

Spyware is similar to a Trojan horse in that users unwittingly install the product when they install something else. A common way to become a victim of spyware is to download certain peer-to-peer file swapping products that are available today.

Aside from the questions of ethics and privacy, spyware steals from the user by using the computer's memory resources and also by eating bandwidth as it sends information back to the spyware's home base via the user's Internet connection. Because spyware is using memory and system resources, the applications running in the background can lead to system crashes or general system instability.

Because spyware exists as independent executable programs, they have the ability to monitor keystrokes, scan files on the hard drive, snoop other applications, such as chat programs or word processors, install other spyware programs, read cookies, change the default home page on the Web browser, consistently relaying this information back to the spyware author who will either use it for advertising/marketing purposes or sell the information to another party.

Licensing agreements that accompany software downloads sometimes warn the user that a spyware program will be installed along with the requested software, but the licensing agreements may not always be read completely because the notice of a spyware installation is often couched in obtuse, hard-to-read legal disclaimers.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French
from Latin malitia, from malus bad

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/malice

malware
- Malware (for "malicious software") is any program or file that is harmful to a computer user. Thus, malware includes computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and also spyware, programming that gathers information about a computer user without permission.

microsoft is even guilty of the last part, seems to be an industry standard operating procedure lately
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users