Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:13 PM

i'm having trouble setting up my e-mail. since i re-installed my windows and everything. i got my internet connection going. just can't get the e-mail to work it rejects USERNAME & PASSWORD. i've got the e-mail address, password.
Any sujestions. i'm in Australia trying to setup BROADBAND which my e-mail is ******@bigpond.net.au the it's a POP3 server. incoming and outcoming is mail.bigpond.com. now what port do i use it's set on default 110 incomming and 25 for outgoing.

any sugestions?

or best to ring them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

Izzy, I have POP accounts from two different providers set up in my Outlook 2002 and one of them uses the default ports, while the other uses special ports I had to set myself. If there are any special ports needed other than the default, you would have to ask your service provider about them. Try going to their website, I would think they would have set up instructions for Outlook somewhere.

One thing I have a question about is both your incoming and outgoing being mail.bigpond.com. The accounts I have set up in Outlook 2002 both are set up with the incoming being mail.wherever.com. while the outgoing is smtp.wherever.com. Try changing the outgoing to smtp.bigpond.com and see if that helps.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:36 PM

I did some creative googling on your behalf and found this gem:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/adam88/details.html

Posted Image

IF the information is current it would appear your host settings are incorrect.

HTH

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:54 PM

I think i'll have to ring the company because i'm nearly out of options at home.

network connection has a tick

outgoing mail server has a tick

incoming mail has a tick

send test e-mail has a tick

log onto incoming mail server doesn't
it keeps brining up the enter username and password. it worked before i had to restore my pc (re-install windows) i got my internet connection back online without hassels. just e-mail.

POP3 uses port 110
SMTP uses port 25
that's default.

Edited by Izzy, 27 January 2005 - 10:55 PM.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:50 AM

OK my e-amil has been setup again.

the incoming mail was pop-server@bigpond.net.au
the outgoing mail was mail-hub@bigpond.net.au

they had to change my password because the system had lost it some how.
now i tried to set up my e-mail with MS Office Outlook 2003 but it won't work. works on Outlook Express.

the problem is i go to

TOOLS > ACOUNTS > VIEW OR CHANGE EXHISTING ACCOUNTS > in there is two e-mail thingy's. one is a personal folder and it's type is MAPI (deafault) it was already there when i installed Outlook 2003. the otherone is my e-mail which is pop-server@bigpond.net.au type is POP/SMTP. i tried to remove the personal folder one but it says that you can't delete it. when i try to set the pop-server.bigpond.com.au it says that the account has been deleted. but i went and hilighted my e-mail one then clicked on change... all the details were corrected. i clicked on test setting for it and everything gets a tick and says it's fine. so i clicked next then finish. but i can't set it as my default. any one know what's going on?

*Outlook Express (Comes with XP Home) my e-mail works fine in there.
*Outlook 2003 (Office) when i originally installed first time it worked fine.
*Outlook 2003 (Office) after i re-istalled windows etc. re-installed office now it saying my e-mail has been deleted. maybe i'll uninstall office outlook 2003 and see if i can install outlook 2002 see if that makes anydifference. but the only thing is that i can't install outlook 2003 as an upgrade to it because it says that 2002 version or older must be uninstalled first which is silly. but i'll try.

EDIT: When i installed OUtlook 2002 (Office) i went to open it it this message popped up : Unable to open your default e-mail folders. Could Not Open The Item. Try Again. so i uninstalled it (i couldn't open Outlook 2002) then i installed Outlook 2000 (yes i still got it - i don't know if it's legan to install 2000 on here because it was on my old PC which went cactus) but any i installed it and it's working. now i might try and see if i can do a upgrade from 2000 to 2002 see if the seetings will stay.

Edited by Izzy, 28 January 2005 - 02:49 PM.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

i'll add a replay to my own as it's getting a little long.

I have success with Outlook 2003, i have it working.

now when i sintalled Outlook for office 2000. it worked fine so then
i installed outlook for office 2002, when i opened it i got this message

Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The .DLL file for the information service could not be found. MPAI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the serive is correctly installed and configured.

So, i just installed Outlook for Office 2003 and then i opened it. it come up with this message

Unable to open your default e-mail folders. Create a new profile by double clicking the mail icon in the control panel (if using XP to change to classic view), clicking show profiles, and then clicking add. After creating the new profile, make it your default by selecting it, and then clicking always use this profile.

Which i ended up doing and then it worked FINALLY!

but wait...

Outlook for Office 2002 was still installed, so i uninstalled it.

Went back to open outlook, it opened fine but when i clicked on send/recieve this message popped up

Operation Failed!

so i did a detect and repair (Outlook 2003) and tried again. no change, so
i delted the profile i just created.

then i recreated another one using the same name (but add something to the end like a - or something (as there is already one created). type all your information back in. set it as default and then clicking always use this profile.

making sure you profile name is visible in the little bar under always use this profile.

so i went back into outlook 2003 and clicked send and recieve and hurray! my e-mail is working in outlook 2003. i never though it would be that much trouble.

i do hope this information will help someone one day. :thumbsup:

Izzy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users