Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Responding To Commands

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 randels7

randels7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

HP 306x, running Windows XP. Had been running very slow with 56 processes running at a time. I went into misconfig, then to start up and started researching some of the items on there. Disabled only the ones I was positive of, and started the process of running a hijackthis log.
I cleaned the cookies and history, then ran the disk cleaner cleaning the temp., temp. Int. files, and recyle bin. Everything so far is going smoothly.
Went to Download.com to get Ad-aware, downloaded successfully, but not able to install. Error message says: Cannot run Windows Installer Servicer. Either it is disabled or damaged.

Thinking that I had to of messed up something in the start up, I go back into misconfig, then to startup and EVERYTHING is disabled. So of course I enabled them all. The computer was running great, with exception to I cant install any programs. I looked into another tab in the misconfig, I cant remember excatly which one, maybe services, thinking that is where the Windows Installer Service must be (ran the search and also looked up on Microsoft site, Mircrosoft said the problem is in the registry, I have never worked within the registry so thought to try the msconfig before going to the registry).
Upon entering this other tab most were stopped with only a few running. ( The stopped and running was on right side of box with program or file thing name on left).
So of course I enabled them all!!

Restarted computer for changes to take effect.

Screen comes back totally black with the blinking white line at top left corner. tried typing in windows then hit enter- nothing. hit escape-nothing
restarted again hitting f8, hoping to start in safe mode and maybe go back and disable all that I enabled, nothing. With this balck screen I am not able to go into misconfig to enter safe mode thru there, I cant do anythng with this screen. It reminds me of the first home computers, where you got a black screen and had to type stuff in to get to programs.

The monitor is not the problem, as it is fine, it is a problem somewhere between the mouse and the computer chair!

Anyone who can help can be rewarded with a big hug!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Have you tried dial a fix?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html

#3 randels7

randels7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks!

I would love to try dialafix, only one problem, I cant do anything at all, including get on internet with the computer in question.
i am using a different computer to try to fix the one I screwed up.

#4 randels7

randels7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

I forgot to mention the problem is not the "black screen of death" the screen I am dealing with is blank and black.

#5 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

Error message says: Cannot run Windows Installer Servicer. Either it is disabled or damaged.

Try this.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:20 AM

Since you're unable to get into Windows, you'll have to rely on other means to fix this problem.

First, try using your recovery CD to get into the Recovery Console ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;314058 ) and try these commands:

fixboot
fixmbr

Pressing Enter after typing each one in.

If this doesn't work, or you're not able to get into the Recovery Console, then try a repair install of Windows with these directions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If that works, then immediately backup your stuff.
Then try to remove the infection by using the tools that you've described.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 randels7

randels7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thank you for the help.
I tried the means described and the computer would not even recognize the cd being installed.
I finally went to my computers (hp) online chat support. They had me to open it up, locate the wide ribbon thingys and unhook from hard drive and from cd drive (after going into bios mode). Hard drive was still not showing up in the bios menu-I was advised that my hard drive was dead.
After disconnecting with them, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon thingys again, removed th battery thingy on motherboard again (it is what they said to do), and hitting the power button on front of computer continually for 30 seconds and low and behold the hard drive showed up on the bios menu. After all of this I was able to go into safe mode with the f8 key and did a restore from there. Everything is working fine now. I just need to pick up where I left off with the ad aware and so forth.

Thanks again !!!
maybe some day I can be of help to someone else.
Bridget

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users