Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Hp Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DevonG

DevonG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

c:\WINDOWS\system32\presetup.cmd - FILE NOT FOUND!
c:\WINDOWS\system32\setupORG.exe - FILE NOT FOUND!
(setupORG.exe ->Original windows Setup.exe)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POSSIBLE CAUSE:
1."Preset.cmd" not exist in the i386 folder in UXPCD
"setupORG.exe" not exist in the i386 folder in UXPCD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. Check your "txtsetup.sif" in the i386 folder on UXPCD
---Txtsetup.sif---------------------------
[SourceDiskFiles]
setupORG.exe=1,,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; must exist
prestup.cmd =1,,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; must exist
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now this is very similar to the post found on these forums but it doesn't solve my problem.

To walk you all through what i've done so far.

Now i'm not used to HP, the BIOS is all weird so I had to insert the disk and start the installation process instead of just restarting and booting from the disk.

Now I wasn't able to delete the Windows XP Home ED. Partition so I just merged the two since they have similar files.

Everything was installing fine until I got the error message as posted above.

I've checked the windows disk, everything is where it should be. "presetup.cmd" and "setuporg.exe" have been found. Also inside the txtsetup.sif everything is found in its proper place.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on how to fix this problem.

I've tried putting the disk in different CD Roms and trying that, and still nothing.

I have a question, what if I extracted the files from the windows disk on another computer and put the files in the USB Drive like posted in the other topic in this forum. If I pop my flash drive into the computer, how will I know it's actually being accepted as a drive?

I have no access to the original windows xp Home on the comp or else I'd just reverse everything and try from fresh again.

I appreciate everyones help and I offically hate this bleeping computer. :thumbsup:

~ Devon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

Now i'm not used to HP, the BIOS is all weird so I had to insert the disk and start the installation process instead of just restarting and booting from the disk.

Why can't you boot from the CD? Familiarize yourself with the BIOS and look for a 'boot order' option and make the CD first.

#3 DevonG

DevonG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

Their BIOS doesn't have all that much to familiarize urself with.

I can get to the boot order and CD is first, there's 2 CD roms and I don't know which one its booting from so i've tried putting the disk in both drives and I get the same error.

There is however one thing that makes me think something went wrong all together. It says that it can't find those files on the C: drive. Why would it ask for the C Drive already? Did it really somehow forget to write those files? And if it did, is there anyway I can just restart this whole setup from BIOS? "IE: Delete Partition and Restart".

so 2 recap...

Why is it saying the error is in C:?

Shouldn't the error be on the CD itself? =\ i'm lost.

~ Devon

Edited by DevonG, 21 July 2007 - 12:04 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:14 AM

You can take the guess work out of it by unplugging one of the drives.

I would use a utility like Kill Disk to wipe the drive, you need to make a CD of this and boot from it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:29 AM

On an HP, when it first starts you'll get the option to press ESC to choose a boot device.

If the system still doesn't boot from the CD then it's likely that there's an issue with either the CD or the CD drive.
The C: messages indicate that there's an issue with where the installation routine is looking for the installation files (on your C: drive) and it cannot find them. Yes the error should be with the CD itself and not with the C: drive - so something isn't working correctly.

I'm just guessing here, but it could be that it's looking for the files using the default PATH statement rather than the CD. This could possibly occur if you're trying to run the installation routine from within Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DevonG

DevonG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Just wanted to thank you for posting the killdisk.

I wiped the drive down, then made a slipstream bootable copy of windows and I'm now installing.

Pray the rest of this is a walk in the park. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users