Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Kubuntu From Dual Boot With Grub

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 healingdread

healingdread

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

hey guys. i have installed a dual boot system running kubuntu on top of winxp using two hard drives. i would like to remove the kubuntu and grub so as to free up the second hard drive for storage. not sure where to begin. :thumbsup: or end for that matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81962" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=157897

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81962://http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....php?t=81962
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hi Healingdread

Sorry I can't help here, but was just wondering apart from freeing up space for storage; ? are you not happy :flowers: with Kubuntu ...

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

#4 healingdread

healingdread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:48 AM

Hi Healingdread

Sorry I can't help here, but was just wondering apart from freeing up space for storage; ? are you not happy :trumpet: with Kubuntu ...

:thumbsup:

have salvaged an old pc from the local dump and have installed kubuntu and kde onto that one.
will give me something to get my head round when i ge the chance
peace :flowers:

#5 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

The quick answer is to open your XP control panel - Administrator tools - disk management . Right click on the partition and format it. Reboot with a 98 floppy disk - fdisk /mbr. Grub will be gone and your formated disk will be ready to use as you wish.

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:31 AM

el_tel, no idea if he is happy but I am since I feel it to be a real starter linux easy to install too
everyday is a gift

#7 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hi Healingdread

Sorry I can't help here, but was just wondering apart from freeing up space for storage; ? are you not happy :thumbsup: with Kubuntu ...

:flowers:

have salvaged an old pc from the local dump and have installed kubuntu and kde onto that one.
will give me something to get my head round when i get the chance
peace :inlove:

:trumpet:

el_tel, no idea if he is happy but I am since I feel it to be a real starter Linux easy to install too

Reading between the line, I'll just have to wait until Healingdread finds the time to give it a whirl on his salvaged PC

PS

I have sent for and received the Ubuntu V6.06.1 CD as I couldn't get my head around :cool: burning the ISO file ROFL I look forward to when Bill Gates software crashes again; because I will not be having it re-installed... Linux is the way to go for me...

:)
Posted Image

#8 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:14 PM

I have been windows free on kubuntu for about a year, I perfer kde to gnome(kubuntu to ubuntu) though tastes differ, Anyway I think if he has an old machine then neither of them would be as suited to it as puppy linux, which is a little harder to install agreed but very rewarding

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Edited by fleamailman, 15 September 2007 - 02:15 PM.

everyday is a gift

#9 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

I have heard of Puppy Linux, but oops that link gave me an :thumbsup:

Error 403
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /user/viewpage.php?page_id=1 on this server.

You do not have permission to access this server.

Your technical support key is: 5604-667c-dfd9-b1ad

:flowers:

Bare with me I'm a prime ID 10 T PC user ROFL
Posted Image

#10 healingdread

healingdread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

thanks for the ideas guys however following them best as i could, all i managed to do was get to a place where i had a non functioning xp with a functioning kubuntu. not quite what what i was looking for. solved the problem by fresh installing xp onto new hard drive. lost a few files but my own silly fault for not backing up.
salvaged pc is repaired but has been snaffled by one of my children to run xp again.
on the lookout for another.........
when i do, i know where to come when it all goes wrong.
thanks

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

Odd. How did you do that?

It should have been as simple as a fix mbr command in from an xp system disk, then use xp's partition manager (or any other manager for that matter) to delete the linux partition and resize the xp one...I've never lost files or rendered a system inop doing this...I do that in other ways....
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#12 healingdread

healingdread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:27 AM

hey joe
i have still got the half working ex-xp hard drive. i've re formatted the ex-kubuntu drive and used it in the salvaged one.
as far as i can recall what actually happened when i ran the xp repair from disc was i was unable to give the fixmbr command.
i reached a page where i was asked for a command but would only allow me to type one letter(?)
i tried reinstalling xp over the top and found that several fles seemed to be missing/unavailable VIAAGP something chipset driver or somesuch and install stalled there
at some point it seems that xp got stuck half way into setup and wouldnt run or repair
and thats the story so far
will try again if only to rescue a few files from the drive and to work out how it should be done.
thanks dude

#13 healingdread

healingdread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:31 AM

AHA EUREKA AND THANK bleep FOR THAT

just read a tutorial on recovery console use and realised that where was trying to type "fixmbr" i should have been typing "1".

that would explain a lot. well everything

write out 1000 times......"i must read the instructions on the box; i must read the instructions on the box; i must.............

peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users