Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 1 To Usb 2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tangocc35

tangocc35

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here and not familiar with the protocol, please forgive any errors or Goofs.

My Computer's Window's (XP Pro) has been slowing for some time--and finally gave up the Ghost. It just hung on startup! Would not Boot.

I discovered an old copy (with Licence and Serial) of XP Home and loaded it--It went in fine, reversed my C and D drives as the D (Formerly C) holds the old Windows Pro which pooped out.

Now my Computer works--but all my USP Ports are USB 1 although they were USB 2 previously. I have manually loaded SP2, but that doesn't help. I cannot install my USB Wirless Adaptor, to get "Live Update"", as it insists it needs a USB 2 port--so I'm sort of stuck.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem and get my USB ports upgraded?

All Drivers that were associated with my Previous Windows are still in the Computer--only now on Drive "D"and are available copy to the active "Windows"directory on Drive "C"--if that will help.

Thanks for any help

Regards

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

Go to the Device Manager and remove the USB hardware from the profile. Restart your computer and allow it to reinstall the USB bus.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

The switching of the drive letters is a "feature" (cough) of XP. When XP is installed again without first wiping the previous version, the installer detects previous versions and gives you the option of either keeping the old version(s) or re-using a partition and wiping out the old version that is there. You probably selected the default answers not knowing what they meant. This tells the installer to look for any other partition that doesn't already have XP on it (formerly you D: partition) and install the new version there. It then renames that partition with the new installation on it to C: and renaming the other partition to D:.

I bet that every time you restart your system you are presented with 2 options on a text screen:
1) Previous version of XP (or Windows XP Professional)
2) Windows XP Home

The upshot of all this is that you probably wanted to wipe the old Pro installation and install Home there and to leave your original D: partition alone. You can undo this switcheroo by reinstalling XP again. Take note of the options that the installer gives you: you can reformat a partition, thus wiping it. You want to wipe the partition now listed as D:, the home of the original XP Pro. Install Home to here and this partition will be renamed back to C:, the way it originally was.

Once Home is fully installed again you can use Explorer to simply wipe out the D:\WINDOWS directory which was put there by you first Home installation. Any files that were originally there before you did the first re-installation should still be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users