Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Block/trash Emails Sending Me Scam .pdf Attachments!?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

In the last week or so I've been hit with a ton of BS scam emails. 1 type of email is just a name "Joe" with no subject line & no body of the email. It has an (pdf) attachment like "payment.pdf" or "schedule.pdf". I figure they are just junk emails & I delete them. The problem is (1) I get several everyday now. (2) I run a small biz & don't want to accidentailly delete an important message or file someone is sending me. (I know they should say who they are when they send it, but you'd be surprised how many people will send you a file you asked for w/o any extra info) So I can't filter emails based on the fact they have a pdf attachment.

The other scam I'm getting is a ton of "Greetingcard" type emails. I've figured out how to filter/delete most of them, but they still are annoying. I hope mozilla will figure out how to stop these type of emails from being sent. They usually do a good job of fixing these issues.

What I'm asking is: Does anyone have any suggestions about how to stop those .pdf & greeting card emails from reaching my mailbox?
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

If you use thunderbird, go to View, Message source, or {CTRL - U}, and you will be able to see the original email address the junque came from, it looks something like this:From - Fri Jul 20 12:57:04 2007
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: <E1IBxqj-00039K-06@www.bleepingcomputer.com>
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-Path: <apache@www.bleepingcomputer.com>
Received: from fed1rmimpi02.cox.net ([70.169.32.69])

then you can use the thunderbird junk mail filters to delete that email. http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

Tb has an adaptive Junk E-mail feature that, when activated, will enable it to "learn" what is junk. Right click on your account name/E-mail address, and choose Properties from the drop-down box. Click on Junk Settings in the tree beneath the account name.
Enable adaptive controls, and begin "teaching" TB by identifying both non-junk and junk E-mails.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

Would you set TB to "Trust mail headers set by: Spamassassin or SpamPal or either?
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

Neither. I do set it to trust people on my E-mail list.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have it set you accept people on my mailing list. I'm still getting about 10 of these freakin' PDF scam emails a day, & sometime much more. I've gone through all the new ones & did the "Junk mail teaching" to them. I went through my trash & did the "Junk mail teaching" to them as well. Do you know if there is a way to set a TB filter that will take emails with a combo of "No subject line" &/or "no text in the body" &/or a .pdf file attachment and DELETE it!? Thanks!
========

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

Hi yorocco7,

This article by MozillaZine: Download only certain POP messages explains how to automate which message bodies are downloaded.
A tool they integrate along with the regular spam filtering features is SpamPal.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users