Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Cd To Replace Dell Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nixgod

nixgod

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

hello,

I am going to replcae the motherboard on a dell 5100 laptop. I got a board on ebay. I went to dell's site to see how to replace the motherboard. this message is at the top.

The system board's BIOS chip contains the Service Tag sequence, which is also visible on a barcode label on the bottom of the computer. The replacement kit for the system board includes a CD that provides a utility for transferring the Service Tag sequence to the replacement system board

do i need this disk? if so is there anywhere i can get it or do ineed to call dell

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Only if you need the service tag number on the laptop to match the number in the bios. check this thread in the dell support forums http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...p;cs=&s=gen
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

if it doesn't will it affect anything. i don't plan on evr send it to dell for any reason

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

The service tag number normally leads to the exact downloads needed for a computer at dells web site.

#5 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

the link you gave shows using a floppy disk. how can i do this it the laptop does not have a floppy drive.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

use a usb floppy, or if the new mainboard is a dell, see if you can get the service tag number from it. normally it will be listed in the bios.

Edited by oldf@rt, 21 July 2007 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users