Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Laptop Motherboard Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hi everyone. I have only just signed up but have used your site for reference many times. I thank you all for your help in the past but now I have a problem that I can find no answer to.
I have a laptop that wont wont turn on unless the mobo battery is removed! Take it out and it will power up just fine. Put it in and it charges the battery but will not turn on.
I havn't tested the battery yet to see if it works as I havn't got around to it but would this make a difference?
Just for the record it's an emachine jobbie about 2 years old with widescreen.
Any ideas on this?
Thanks in advance.
Phill.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

I havn't tested the battery yet to see if it works as I havn't got around to it but would this make a difference?

I have heard of this being caused by a bad battery, I would definitely check it with a voltmeter.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

I have heard of this being caused by a bad battery, I would definitely check it with a voltmeter.

Thanks Chewy, I had heard this somewhere in the past and dissmissed it as daft but looks like it could be so. I will post when I have tried it. I forgot to mention that it had previously had water damage and the keyboard was replaced by emachines when it was under warrenty. Maybe the water killed the battery? But then if it had got that far I'd expect it to have fried the mobo too. Anyway I'll update soon.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:01 AM

This depends on how the AC adapter is wired within the computer. Typically an AC adapter can power the computer and charge the battery, so if there's an issue with the circuit that includes the battery, then you'll get this behavior when the battery is installed. Removing the battery may remove the path of the fault, so then the system works.

The fault will likely lie with the battery or with the motherboard. You can test the battery, but if there's a fault, it could also leave the battery uncharged - so that's not a definitive diagnosis. I'd suggest trying another battery simply because that's easier and cheaper than fixing the motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

Ok the old battery was flat so I installed the new one and all worked fine. I then thought that it could do with a fresh install as the OS was slow. I rebooted from XP CD and formatted the hard drive. It then went on to install windows and just froze. Now it turns on but won't display anything on the screen or on a monitor. It will spin the CD and hard drive but thats it. I guess this is the video now? Tried removing the onboard battery again but nothing this time. I guess the motherboard is shagged out! Oh well. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

Many years ago I bought my very first TV and left a Coke can on top of it. Moisture from the condensation on the can dripped onto a circuit board and the TV stopped working.

Dad opened up the case and found that the water had "carbonized" the circuit board. He used a pocket knife to scrape away the "carbonization" and fixed it.

But that was in the old days of single layer PCB's - I don't think that this will work on a more recent, multilayer PCB.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

Is the new battery charging? back to the voltmeter?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

Is the new battery charging? back to the voltmeter?

Yeah it's not a problem with the normal battery but the bios battery. It's working again now! It seems time helps it! I noticed there was no heatsink on the video chip and the one I saw second hand on Ebay had one. I have stuck one on it with some thermal paste. It is now installing windows. Let's see how it goes.

#9 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

Well it installed but it's still playing up sometimes. I'm using it now actually. I lifted it up earlier to check the model number for the drivers and when I put it down the screen went bizzare with random graphics and froze. Funny thing is it rebooted and when I bashed it around it didn't happen again. I have left it on now for 3 hours and it's still working. It's doing my head in!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

Ahhh, the wonders of "percussive maintenance" ! :thumbsup:

#11 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

Around my neck of the woods its called a " technicians tap" :thumbsup:
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users