Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Froboi

Froboi

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hello all,

Okay i have a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 MoBo. I know its not the psu because i tried it on a differnt computer and it powered just fine. When i have it plugged in the the gigabyte MoBo it...Powers for less than a sec then shuts off?...So whats the dealio gang?

thanks
Aaron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Could also be that the PSU isn't powerful enough. What do you have in this machine?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Froboi

Froboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

the psu worked for two months...

But

GA-M59SLI-S5

Amd dual core 2.5ghz
Geforce 8800 gts oc
2 gigs of ram
psu = 650 watts

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

650W should be more than enough.

Then lets go back to basics. Take the motherboard out of the case and place it on an non-conductive surface. Plug in the CPU (with the HSF, of course), RAM and PSU, and try to start it. If it start the plug in the graphics card and a monitor and try again.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Froboi

Froboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Same problem....Turns on for less than a sec.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

With the board out of the case, and only the CPU and ram installed it still shuts down. Do you get any post Codes or does the computer even get past post if not I would try the CPU and RAM in a different computer and see which one is faulty. You may also have a bad motherboard.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Froboi

Froboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

I dont have any other computer than can take that Ram or Cpu.....But know it does even get a chance to get to the post codes ....There is power literally for less than a sec

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

CPU or motherboard sounds like more likely suspects all the time. There is one other option: that the CPU is overheating and thus shutting the computer down. You have the HSF mounted properly with a thermal pad/paste?

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Along with Alpha's post, If you have your heat sink and fan properly installed, try booting the computer with just the CPU installed it should Post and fail due to the memory not being installed, If you can get it to post without the ram you may have a bad ram chip ( this is an unlikely suspect since if the ram was bad the computer "should" still post I have seen stranger things happen though ). If it still doesn't post try without the CPU and with the ram installed. This is a shot in the dark as I have never tried to POST a computer without ram or a CPU installed. Also If I remember correctly a dead CMOS battery caused trouble with a members computer before check the battery and make sure its still good.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

This sounds like what happened to me. I have a AMD/ASUS system with OCZ DDR2 RAM. After coming back from vaction, it started doing the same thing. What I found out was that AMD/ASUS had this problem the most, but some Gigabytes suffered too.

Try this. The most common cure is to remove most of your memory and try to boot your system off a single RAM module. If it doesn't boot, swap the RAM modules and try again until it boots. if it doesn't, I can't help you from this point.

If it boots, restart and get into the BIOS and make sure you had the original settings. If you are running OCZ 1gb modules you may want to up the DDR2 voltage to 2.2v before you install the second module. Shut it down and add the next RAM module and then boot up again. Keep doing this until it fails in POST or you have all your memory modules reinstalled.

#11 Froboi

Froboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

Nothing...there was once again power for less than a sec

i appreciate the help none the less

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Nothing...there was once again power for less than a sec

i appreciate the help none the less

I am assuming you have tried all the reccomendations Your best option would be to take the components to a computer shop and see if they can test them to see which one is bad otherwise you may replace a part that inst bad. 3 possible outcomes they find nothing wrong (which is highly unlikely) they find one part bad and you replace it, or they find out there all dead.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 July 2007 - 11:07 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 Froboi

Froboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

....Im hoping for just one thing! :thumbsup:

#14 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Sorry it didn't help.

#15 Froboi

Froboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

Just wanted to thank you all for the help, It turned out the mobo deid..not shure from what though.Thanks fro the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users