Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Adaptor ...help

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pro-n00b

pro-n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

hey all i just got a new monitor for my custom rig , but unfortunately , i need a adapter to get it to work with my computer ... the adapter looks like a DFP except longer ...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...ficial%26sa%3DN
(^^^ this is a DFP )

the other side can either be VGA or DVI ... prefferably DVI ...

please help me

thankeee

Edited by pro-n00b, 20 July 2007 - 11:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

1/2 way down the page
VPI
Another one
computer cable resource
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Another one
computer cable resource
Mark

this is the wrong type ... i actually already have this connector ... i need one that on the DFP side its longer so itll fit my monitor cable ...

1/2 way down the page
VPI

i dont see what one your talking about but all of these are the wrong type

however they are the right conversion tho ... like to VGA , thats the right type .

can someone please help

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

What make and model is your monitor?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

What make and model is your monitor?

Silicon Graphics 1600SW flat panel 17" HDTV monitor SGI

its retarded ... i got it on ebay , and im alittle upset i did , i cant seem to get it to work , and i need that adapter .

please help !!!

~clancy

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

Did you get the PCI card that's supposed to be installing in the computer? Here's a link: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bi..._html/ch01.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

i was kinda hoping that i could skip that iff possible and jsut get a adapter to plug into a DVI or VGA connector ....

but if thats the only posssible way ... where can i get the pci card that i need ( for cheap )

cause i have a extreemly decent gfx card and i dont really feel like getting another one ...

btw can u explain a pci slot ( like what is that exactly )

thanks again

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

The Peripheral Component Interconnect, or PCI Standard (in practice almost always shortened to PCI) specifies a computer bus for attaching peripheral devices to a computer motherboard. These devices can take any one of the following forms:

The PCI bus is common in modern PCs, where it has displaced ISA and VESA Local Bus as the standard expansion bus, but it also appears in many other computer types. The bus will eventually be succeeded by PCI Express, which is standard in most new computers, and other technologies.

The PCI specification covers the physical size of the bus (including wire spacing), electrical characteristics, bus timing, and protocols. The specification can be purchased from the PCI Special Interest Group (PCISIG).

Credit :Wikipedia PCI. Photos found on that link

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

thank you very very much ...

are these generally cheap ? like could i get the one that i need for like less than 50 bucks ??

also if i can can someone point me at one that will work with my rig ... cause im tired of getting adapters and other things that dont work

THANK YOU BLEEPING COMPUTER AND MEMBERS

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Keep looking on Ebay. Besides the internal card, There's this external pass-thru device you can try searching for. Of course, it's in G.B. and costs more than a new monitor
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 21 July 2007 - 02:23 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

so are we sure that theres no way to convert the wire into a VGA or DVI output ? idk that just seems like such a stupid easy thing ...

um yeah ill search around on ebay ... but what am i looking for liek can u just wright out what it is and than ill do the searchin

:thumbsup: :huh:

Thanks

#12 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

BUMB ....please help

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Judging by the looks of the PCI card (that should have come with it) and/or the pass-thru device, and all the posts on the net, you cannot simply cut and splice cords together. Those seem to be your only 2 options
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#14 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

Judging by the looks of the PCI card (that should have come with it) and/or the pass-thru device, and all the posts on the net, you cannot simply cut and splice cords together. Those seem to be your only 2 options
Mark

can you show me where to get those things tho ??

the monitor didnt come with the card cause i baught it on ebay ...

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

The one I seen was on Ebay yesterday with the bid closing in a couple of hours and the bid was up to over $200. They quit making them a few years ago when the DVI standard took over. From what I've read it is a very good monitor and highly prized by certain people Just keep searching for "Silicone Graphics multilink adapter" every once in a while on Ebay and maybe try http://craigslistt.us/ Given the rarity of the adapter, I doubt $50 will score you one but you never know
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users