Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert To Digital

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jerry1967

jerry1967

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

Is there a way to convert my computer to digital?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:41 AM

Convert what?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

It would help if you gave us the make/model of your current, non-digital computer.

Otherwise, what Mr. Alpha said - what exactly are you trying to convert to digital?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

I will take a wild guess on audio. If your onboard sound card (if you have one ) does not have a Digital output on it. You will need to upgrade to an expansion card such as Model from SoundBlaster You can find them Here. If you wan't to do some Video editing you will need to be specific on what you want to do. Theres also the off chance you want to connect a digital monitor to a computer with a DVI cable in which case you will need a video card that supports DVI

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 July 2007 - 10:01 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 jerry1967

jerry1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Is there a way to tell if my computer is digital or analog?

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

If it is what most of us call a "PC" then it a "digital computer" - see this Wikipedia article - Central Processing Unit (CPU).

But maybe if you can be more specific, we can help.

For example, what are you trying to do with it that makes it important to you that you have a digital capability?

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

Unless you do research in some small lab at some university or work at a museum, I doubt you've got an analog computer. I believe the last time there was any widespread use on analog computers was in World War II.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

I used my slide rule as late as the early 70's.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 jerry1967

jerry1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

[quote name='Sneakycyber' date='Jul 20 2007, 11:00 AM' post='573429']
I will take a wild guess on audio. If your onboard sound card (if you have one ) does not have a Digital output on it. You will need to upgrade to an expansion card such as Model from SoundBlaster You can find them Here. If you wan't to do some Video editing you will need to be specific on what you want to do. Theres also the off chance you want to connect a digital monitor to a computer with a DVI cable in which case you will need a video card that supports DVI

Yes I want to connect a digital monitor to a computer with a DVI cable. How do I know if I have a Digital video card already in my computer?

Edited by jerry1967, 20 July 2007 - 09:58 PM.

#10 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

An analog connector is usually blue and is referred to as VGA. VGA connectors have three rows of fifteen pins and look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vga

Digital or DVI is typically a white connector with three rows of twenty six pins and a cross of four pins on one side. It looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi
Posted Image

#11 jerry1967

jerry1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

[quote name='arcman' date='Jul 21 2007, 03:12 AM' post='573994']
An analog connector is usually blue and is referred to as VGA. VGA connectors have three rows of fifteen pins and look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vga

Digital or DVI is typically a white connector with three rows of twenty six pins and a cross of four pins on one side. It looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

Ok thank you very much. Now how do I know if I have a digital video card in my computer?

I have both connectors-blue and white on the back of my monitor and my computer but don't know if I have a digital video card.

Edited by jerry1967, 21 July 2007 - 07:18 AM.

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

If they have both connectors, then they, the monitor and the card, are capable of using the DVI cable.

You know you have a digital output capable video card because it has the DVI connector.

For what it is worth - even if your card only output the VGA signal, you can get adapters which convert the signal to DVI. I've not used one so I can't remark on how well they work, however.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

If your video card has a DVI-I ( digital and analog ) or DVI-A (analog) you can use a DVI cable with a VGA adapter however if it is DVI-D which is digital only it cannot be converted to analog with an adapter and must be connected to a digital monitor. You can tell the type by following arcmans links to the wikipedia definitions. You will notice the 4 pins surrounding the blade pin these are the analog pins without them there is no analog signal.

Chad Mockensturm 

#14 jerry1967

jerry1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

Here is what I think I have.----

Monitor--DVI-D(DVI Digital Dual Link)

Computer--DVI-I(DVI Digital and Analog) dual Link

the cable that came with the monitor--DVI-D(DVI-Digal) single link

What do I need to make the right connection?

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

Plug it in and I believe depending on the video card you may need to switch to the Digital output same with the monitor unless its DVI only

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users