Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer Favorites From Ie7 To Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:50 PM

Internet explorer has seriously been annoying me. I'll get a glitch in one of the windows and it has to close, and ALL the windows close. Very annoying when I'm browsing several pages at once. So I want to check out firefox, but I don't want to have to create a whole new favorites list cause I have over 50 sites.

How can I transfer my favorites pages from ie7 to firefox? Thank you.

EDIT: strike that, firefox, when it glitches, closes everything just like ie7. Except, you can restore your session which is totally awesome :thumbsup:. I'm starting to see why firefox is simply better.

Edited by solaris32, 20 July 2007 - 12:01 AM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:07 AM

There must be problems elsewhere, if both Ff and IE are having problems.
Do you get any error messages?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

Uh, just that "ie7/firefox has encountered an error and needs to close. click end now to close the program". Then sometimes after it's closed, it'll ask if I want to send an error report which I suspect doesn't do anything.

It'll happen at seemingly random times with ie7. I think if I try to do too much at once, it will freeze and close. Firefox I haven't used enough to know when it happens. The one time it happened was when I was under options, under main, and selected browse for for download location and it froze for some reason.

Anyway, I think I like firefox better and want to switch to it and bring my favorites with me.

Edited by solaris32, 20 July 2007 - 12:12 AM.

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:10 AM

During the installation of Firefox it will ask you if you wish to "import" your favourites from IE, (Firefox calls them bookmarks), and also your internet connection details.
If you click yes to that, all that data will be COPIED into Firefox and the original will stay with IE so you will have a complete set of data in both applications.

Thereafter and as time goes on, you may add more bookmarks to one or other of these applications, but these new listings will not be duplicated to both progs. You need to maintain your bookmarks individually in each program.

Also during installation of FF, you will be asked to decide if FF or IE is to be your default browser. IE will remain as such until you decide to change to FF but you do not have to make that decision at installation stage, just see how you get on with FF and then, if you wish, you can go into the tools/option menu at any time and set FF as the default, or indeed ignore that option and leave IE as default.

My own experience, for what it is worth, is that both IE and FF are to be avoided......I have Opera and consider it vastly superior to the other two.

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

Thanks. so I guess I will uninstall firefox, then reinstall it. Thank you very much :flowers:.

EDIT: I figured it out! All you gotta do is go to organize bookmarks and select import! The only prob is, it messed up my order :thumbsup: oh well. Thanks everyone.

Edited by solaris32, 20 July 2007 - 12:32 AM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

You can re-arrange your bookmarks (Bookmarks/Organise Bookmarks) and the new order will be saved. You can also use separators and folders to make them easier to use. Ff stores its bookmarks and other user preferences in a folder separate from the application software, so you can uninstall/reinstall without their being lost.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users