Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joyce Barry

Joyce Barry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

I have a friend who cannot go back to Win 98 on her PC. She seems to be stuck in SAFE MODE with the following on her screen: C:\WINDOWS< ....and after this a blinking cursor....
Can anyone tell me what to have her do. Thank you.
jmlk7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

That's not Safe Mode. That's DOS. First of all, have her make sure there isn't a floppy in the floppy disk drive.

Then have her type this to see if it works:

win

. . . and hit enter. If there's nothing wrong with WIndows, it will start.

However, if she arrived at the C:\> prompt when she started the computer, then something must be awry.

If she was attempting to start in Safe Mode and accidentally started in "command prompt" that's what she would see.

If she was not attempting to start in Safe Mode or Command Prompt (DOS), then Windows may be slightly broken. Give us some more info , and we'll try to determine how broken it is.

#3 Joyce Barry

Joyce Barry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

Hi Thanks for the answer. We tried win and it did not start WIndows.
She is back in Safe Mode with greyed icons on the screen
She clicked on START, then SHUT DOWN, the RESTART THE COMPUTER while holding down the CTRL key and the WINDOWS syartup menu appeared and went by so fast she could not click NORMAL MODE to click ENTER.......a few messages came up and it went back into Safe Mode again.
Then it showed a message ....you are in Safe Mode...to fix a problem go to Network or Hardware Settings...click control Panel and then restart.........BUT at control panel it was not possible to do anythng.....Also going to Drive C in My Computer...wuld not open when clicked.....

Would it be a good idea to completely reinstall Win98 from the CD and should WIn 98 be uninstalled first?
jmlk7

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

If you don't have a problem doing it , a fresh install is always preferred. The problem will be that it's not supported anymore, so you can't get updates. There is a site somewhere that has them. Maybe someone will post it before I find it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:11 PM

This may help
Windows 98 First & Second Edition Patches & Updates Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:01 AM

Or Windows 9x Power Pack 4.0

Windows 9x
Power Pack is a compilation of most major patches for Windows 98Gold/SE and also includes IE6.0SP1 and DirectX 9.0c (June 2006 w/Managed DX).

Windows 9x Power Pack includes:
All Unofficial Service Packs for 98 Gold, SE, And Windows Me.
MDGx's 98SE2Me
Tihiy's (re-release) RPLite v5, and instructions/zip for lameskin v6 preview.
7-Zip
Windows Media Player 9.0 + Codecs
MDGx's Windows Media Player 10.0 for Win98SE
Xeno86's Kernel Update Project v0.2.7
Maximus Decim's NUSB, NUSB Decorator patches
Maximus Decim's MDAC update package
Maximus Decim's IE6.0 components update for Win98SE
Microsoft XML Update
and much more

Its a big file if you only have dialup, 217 Mb. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 23 July 2007 - 07:03 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:05 PM

If you have icons on the screen, that is safe mode. You should also have a "Safe Mode" in all four corners of the screen. Check to see if there is something in the startup settings that is calling for safe mode. Go to Start -> Run and type in

msconfig

. . . and hit enter. It will bring up your startup stuff. On the General tab, click the Advanced button. Uncheck "Enable Start-up Menu," if it's checked. Cick OK and restart your computer.

Otherwise, you may have a driver problem. Press the Windows key and the Pause key at the same time and you should get the system configuration menu. You need to look at the device manger to see if there are any yellow exclamation points or question marks on any of the devices.

#8 Joyce Barry

Joyce Barry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies...I will try it all....
jmlk7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users