Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Widescreen Monitor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

We had an unfortunate accident last night, and broke our monitor. After checking out three different stores, it was obvious that the widescreens were the new thing. (Between three stores, at least 50 widescreens; maybe 7, tops, "regular".) Anyway, my question:

I followed all the instructions on set-up: changed the settings to 1440 x 900 and 60Hz, and installed the monitor driver. My wife has a small collection of simple $20 video games, like Polar Bowler and Scrabble. The games are stretching to take up the entire screen, and hence, the image is distorting. I'm sure that you know what I mean; circles are now ovals, squares are now rectangles. Is there a way to make these games "full screen" without the distortion? Just like when you watch a regular TV show on a widescreen TV; with the vertical black bars on the sides? These games can be played in windowed mode, but on none of them are you able to re-size the window,so you are stuck with a window that is rather small.

I don't know what information may be relevant, but here's a start: HP Pavilion Desktop with Windows XP Home SP2; new monitor is an LG L196WTQ; and I'm not sure myself, but is this the graphics driver?: Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

Modern games come with aspect ratios made specifically for widescreen monitors. If there isn't an option to change the aspect ratio in the settings then you are probably out of luck; there isn't much you can do.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:20 AM

If I remember correctly, those old Wild Tangent games only recognize 4:3 ratio monitor resolutions, not 16:9

Here is the only thing that I could find at the web site: http://wildtangent.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wi...amp;p_topview=1
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

You can try to create a separate hardware profile that'll load the different vid card settings for the games, you can adjust the screen settings in the Display properties dialog (Settings tab), or you can try and create a shortcut that "may" allow you to set the sizing. Also, things like the nVidia nView software may allow changing this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:52 AM

Thank you for the advice, guys. I may try the shortcut idea, John. If that turns out to be too much of a chore, then I guess we'll just have to get used to it! I will stay tuned to this thread for at least a few more days, though, in case anyone else may know a trick.

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

Ultramon allows you to set hotkeys to the differnet profiles. . .But I don't know what limitations the trial has. I also don't even know if it would solve your problem, but its worth checking out.

Posted Image

#7 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:26 AM

I spent over an hour trying to research John's idea, and I still have no idea how I would go about doing it. And even then, I acknowledge the fact that John was very clear that he didn't even know if it would actually work.

It's just a handful of simple games. They look funny now, but in time, we'll get used to them. I'm going to call this one quits.

Thank you again, everybody.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

I've used the hardware profile trick for a while - and it's a real PITA (requires a choice each time you boot). I eventually gave up on it, and suspect that you'd have ended up the same way.

BTW - there might be a switch/button on the monitor or in it's menu that will allow you to easily set it to 4:3 aspect ratio - and then you won't have to hassle with anything else for the games. I've got one built into my TV that I can change with a remote - don't know the details about monitors controls tho'.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, our widescreen LCD TV has aspects that are easily accessed, too. But this monitor doesn't offer any such option. I've been through the manual forwards and backwards. Thanks for a good idea, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users