Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can The Mac Firewall Be Trusted?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

How good is the Mac OS 10 (Tiger) firewall? Can I trust it? Is there a better firewall for Mac? And, do I really need one? I usually connect with DSL. using Safari. Should I switch to Firefox? I'm a (relitivaly) new Mac user.
Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:17 AM

It's powerful enough, more so if you use a router along with it's firewall. It only blocks incoming traffic, not outgoing. If you want to see what's going out and to where, download and install Little Snitch, the demo version is fully functional but is limited to 3 hours.

#3 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

How good is the Mac OS 10 (Tiger) firewall? Can I trust it? Is there a better firewall for Mac? And, do I really need one? I usually connect with DSL. using Safari. Should I switch to Firefox? I'm a (relitivaly) new Mac user.
Thanks in advance for any help.

You ought to add Firefox anyway! It's a free download that is easy to use. I have FF, Safari of course, Camino and AOL my "provider" on my Mac. I prefer FF over the other three browsers but I find reasons to use all 4 probably every day. I do like the way the Safari browser arranges the folders and stick a lot of "saved" stuff there.

It is convenient to have at least two browsers because when you want to check something out you can switch to the second browser to look up stuff and not lose track of where you are. (Very helpful if you are into message boards!)

If your Mac is new then you also have FREE telephone help directly from a Mac tech. Use the free service until the time runs out to answer the little dumb questions that come up. Ask the Mac tech about security concerns, he hears this stuff every day!

I have Norton for Mac on my computer. I know that most virus attacks are on PC's and Norton may not be necessary but it was $30 - $35 per year and they routinely check stuff. Peace of mind choice!

I opted for the Mac extended warranty plan (AppleCare) and was glad I did. I had serious problem come up almost 3 years into the warranty and they replaced my old Emac with a brand new Imac (at least 2 versions newer) for FREE! Plus I had 3 years of free telephone help with AppleCare.

#4 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

Good advise.

Although I'm not a big fan of norton, (I'll probably pay for Macscan when the free trial expires). I agree, piece of mind.

I wasn't going to get the extended warrenty, you may have changed my mind. :wacko:

Thank you, and no more stupid questions, I promise. (Gulp!!! I hope I can live up to that statement) :blink:

#5 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

[quote name='12x48y' date='Aug 5 2007, 04:13 PM' post='586595']
Good advise.

".........wasn't going to get the extended warrenty, you may have changed my mind. :blink:

Thank you, and no more stupid questions, I promise."

Sorry, I was referring to my stupid a$$ questions to APPLE! I found the techs very helpful! Every now and then when I have a question Istill give them a call.

The Apple Care extended contract came in handy, I never expected any problems! I made out, stepped up from an Emac to an Imac for free!

You can't go wrong with Firefox! Try it and if you don't like it you can remove it. I like the way Firefox puts the favorites on the toolbar, something like Safari but only with more colors.

If you have kids watch out because they like to "share" folders with other students - this could mess up your security.

Good luck.

#6 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Quote_______________________________________
Sorry, I was referring to my stupid a$$ questions to APPLE!

No, no, i know what you meant No apology necessary. i was referring to the other thread I posted here.

I wasn't aware of the free telephone help, I plan on using it.

You and buddyme2, macguru, have helped me immensely on this subject. Thanks to all.

Quote______________________________________
If you have kids watch out because they like to "share" folders with other students - this could mess up your security.

Both kids are full grown, thank god. :blink:

Edited by 12x48y, 06 August 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#7 DoveFat

DoveFat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hey there, 12x48y,
OS X 10.4 ( Tiger) firewall is pretty good, simple to set up, just turn it on ( Start at "System Preferences" in the upper left-hand apple drop menu/ "Internet & Network"/ "Sharing"/ to "Firewall" ) . The firewall is 2-way unlike Windows one-way firewall in XP/Vista.
If you wish to configure the OS X firewall, download "Flying Buttress" ( shareware/ Brian Hill Software ). Pretty simple set-up. Use it until you can buy the license ( $ 25).

FireFox browser is very good but I use and like Camino, I-Cab, and Safari ; my preferences are mine. You might like what "Opera" does for your browsing.
:blink:
[size=4][b][i][color=#000099]Much health and happiness to you and yours.

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hey there, 12x48y,
OS X 10.4 ( Tiger) firewall is pretty good, simple to set up, just turn it on ( Start at "System Preferences" in the upper left-hand apple drop menu/ "Internet & Network"/ "Sharing"/ to "Firewall" ) . The firewall is 2-way unlike Windows one-way firewall in XP/Vista.

As is, the firewall does not monitor outgoing traffic unless one configures it with Terminal's command line or maybe with a program like Flying Buttress (I haven't used 3rd party programs with the built in firewall so I can't comment on them).
If I have misunderstood your post, please forgive me.

#9 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hey there, 12x48y,
If you wish to configure the OS X firewall, download "Flying Buttress" ( shareware/ Brian Hill Software ). Pretty simple set-up. Use it until you can buy the license ( $ 25).

FireFox browser is very good but I use and like Camino, I-Cab, and Safari ; my preferences are mine. You might like what "Opera" does for your browsing.
:blink:

Hmmm, Flying Buttress has some bad reviews. and doesn't seem to be supported anymore. But I'll do some more research on it. Thanks. :wacko:

I'll check out Camino, and I-cab. Thanks :)

#10 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

:blink:[/quote]

I'll check out Camino, and I-cab. Thanks :wacko:
[/quote]

We all have our favorites. I have Camino, I like the way I can put more stuff in the toolbar line. I can't figure out how to make the spell check work automatically. I find that Camino saves passwords okay but different than what I am used to. I like FireFox a little more than Camino because I think it is a little bit faster and some things will open with FireFox and not Camino. But I still use Camino every day but not as much as FF!

I had Opera, I found it oddly unique but I also thought it was slower and more difficult to use at times. I removed it completely from my computer!

One good thing about Opera, Camino and FF - they are all free downloads! You can try each and decide which is easier and more convenient to you.

Never heard of I-cab.

NN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users