Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Options

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:54 AM

My copy of vista became corrupt. So I decided to reinstall it. I did not understand that I could do from the backup drive. So I did it from disk. I lost all my software that was originally included. I was told the only way to get that software was to do the reinstall from a recovery app or to buy a new disk. The software that was originally installed on the computer included that recovery app. The D drive that should have the original software does exist. I am not sure how to tell if I can use it or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

Which software do you need? We can recommend alternative sources for most, if not all of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

The only thing that I used was Microsoft works. It Microsoft Money and I wanted to try it but never got around to it. The other thing I was interested in checking out was the recovery option that came with it. And I don't understand the two drives and does that mean without the original software I can't take advantage of it or am I using already or how do I use it.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

You can likely get trial versions of Works and Money by visiting the Microsoft website. As for the recovery options, there should be recovery options for Vista built into the system - the D: drive just made it easier for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

My copy of vista became corrupt. So I decided to reinstall it. I did not understand that I could do from the backup drive. So I did it from disk. I lost all my software that was originally included. I was told the only way to get that software was to do the reinstall from a recovery app or to buy a new disk. The software that was originally installed on the computer included that recovery app. The D drive that should have the original software does exist. I am not sure how to tell if I can use it or not.

did you delete the recovery partition?

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

If you do a recovery from the recovery partition D:, your computer should be back to the way you first bought it. This will include all the 'shovelware' that was originally there.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:49 AM

I don't think I deleted it. What I mean is that I can see it but because I don't have the vista app that allows me to do anything with it I can't tell if it will allow me to recover the original software.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

It should be as simple as booting into Safe Mode and choosing the Recovery Option. This should take you back to factory condition with all the programmes which shipped with your computer.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

It should be as simple as booting into Safe Mode and choosing the Recovery Option. This should take you back to factory condition with all the programmes which shipped with your computer.

I know it should be that simple but I can't figure it out. Where is the recovery option located?

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

The option should be available when you boot into SAFE MODE, and should be located in the D:\ partition on your C:\drive.

If this is not the case, then I would suspect that this has gone when you did your last reinstall from disk. Try pressing F8 continuously as your machine starts up and see what happens.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:45 AM

What is the make and model of your system - that way we can research exactly how to get the recovery partition to work.

#12 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:24 AM

Thank you for all your help. It is an Emachines W3615.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

In general, reinstalling with an eMachines recovery disk will recover your system from the D: drive if it's present and not corrupted (it uses the XP files on the CD to save space on the D: partition). I've used this method to "downgrade" an eMachines system from XP MCE to XPHome - so we could then upgrade it to XPPro (the customer wanted this even though we recommended against it).

So, I suspect that there's issues with your D: partition. Try checking Device Manager (go to Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) to see if there's any red x's or yellow !'s. If so, then you'll also need to install the drivers for your system.

Was this system purchased with Vista on it - or did you do an upgrade from XP? Here's the eMachines FAQ's for Vista: http://www.emachines.com/faq/vista/SUPPAGE01su93.html

Edited by usasma, 24 July 2007 - 07:06 AM.

#14 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:22 PM

I bought it with vista preloaded. I don't think I have an issue with the D: drive I just think I do not have software that can access it and do anything with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users