Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Regarding Spyware

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kismet07

kismet07

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:47 AM

(jumps in, both feet and requests the answer to a conundrum.)

After my tragic and very rude introduction to Trojans, malware, Virtumonde, and conhooks (they do say it never rains but it pours eh?) over one ill-fated weekend, I did what any self respecting Antipodean wench might do. I swallowed half a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (the highlight of the weekend as it turns out) and opened my wallet and happily paid my dues to a number (yes, frustration drives me to excess) anti spyware products. It might be prudent to add now that I've been surfing the web with gay abandon for many years relying solely upon Spybot-search and destroy, Ad aware SE personal and AVG (all free applications that I found perfectly adequate!)

To cut a long story short one of those purchases was 'Antispyware bot'....it appeared to work well ....until I ran other applications and found 'rogue spyware' popping up, willy-nilly in all of them! After ignoring this for sometime...(I'm stubborn and was by now feeling warm and fuzzy from the wine :thumbsup: ) I decided to delete this rogue spyware that kept being detected. *POOF* ..... my purchased antispyware was swept into cyberspace ....never to be seen again!

So! My question is....is it one of those 'dodgy brothers' programs one reads of (and if so, how do I get my money back?? .....yeah I know, I live in hope :trumpet: )

Thank you for your patience.....

I will not be beaten!..... :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:42 AM

many views and not one response....please help?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

Where did you download this 'Antispyware bot' program from?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:55 AM

from google, Buda....and it WAS, supposedly, 5 star rated......but everything appears to be getting worse....and though I'n not given to crying....I've missed the garbage collection for another week!

Many thanks in advance

#5 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

by the way.....right now I feels Hunter S has/had a good grip on pissy things!

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

According to this site, AntiSpywareBot is a rogue program that uses false positives to lure the user into buying the product.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

thank you buda.....I could find nothing that supported the issues that I was experiencing.....by the way.....I'm a techno dolt....any response should be (please) regarding a grade one(er) learning to write.......... :thumbsup:

I'm flummoxed! Simply flummoxed! My IE seems to be severely infected.....zone alarm is going off like Bow Bells in a tornado.....and the entire rubbish has become too much for me (if there was a crying icon I would use it ad nauseum right now) but I have studies to continue/complete....and a crap computer is......useless?

I will not be beaten!!!!

#8 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:15 AM

oh...and I guess there goes my dosh.....yanky dollars et al

#9 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:41 AM

alright.....I didn't come across this on google.....and since I'm horribly trusting....fell prey to them. My question still remains....conhook, vundo, virtumonde....etc etc how do i clean my system? I bought the computer....in good faith ...that creating sytem restore cds would solve any later problems.....

It's not happening and I STILL have these internet explorer 'lurkers'.....who...what surprises me, would ever believe that anyone would except their 'errorsafe' etc etc as legitimate!

I decided on HJT but since ad aware se couldn't run properly, I'm loathe to dump my problems just anywhere!

Respectfully computer illiterate, kismet07

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:59 AM

Just hang tight and let the HJT experts sort you out. Those guys are always extremely busy so it may take a few days until they get to your log.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

tank you buda.....but I've lost a week's work, maybe more and I still don't understand where these are coming from. Oh< any doubt? It seems that I have an infection.....I cannot produce a HJT file since ad aware just stops! it does not restart unless I restart mt computer with the complete shut down button...........................

#12 kismet07

kismet07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:19 AM

I did try to enter the bleep chat room too.....(with no idea of what I was doing......) to pick your mind somewhat more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users