Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting After Infection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vince86

Vince86

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:40 AM

So i recently posted about being a victim of identity theft. I have decided that i should reformat my hard drive to make sure the trojan is gone for sure. But i have a problem because i do not know what i should do. Dell included only the reinstallation cd of windows xp, is this good enough to reformat or do i need a real full-windows xp cd for installation? Also my computer is a dell laptop inspiron 9200. Dells website only has a few drivers which i do not think is enough for a clean install of my laptop. Where should i go about finding or reinstalling drivers?? Plus I want to save some music and documents to cds, but if i am still infected these cds would also be infected? right? So how do i make sure it doesnt get onto my clean reformatted computer? Once the cd is in the computer the trojan gets off and infects right? ANY help is appreciated please list steps im kind of dumb. Thank you!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:02 AM

If you are going to do this because of a infection then I would wipe the hdd with a utility like KillDisk. But before you do that why not post you problem in the Am I Infected? forum and see if you can clean the computer so that it's safe.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Vince86

Vince86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:19 AM

i tried but one of the members told me that it might still be in the HD even tho i deleted it. For some strange reason i saw that the unauthorized purchases started in may 2007. I have scanned my computer before and nothing had showed up. Suddened on the day i noticed i was being charged june 17 2007, i quickly ran a scan on avg and it picked up a trojan. It deleted everything but i was skeptical that it removed everything. So why didnt it pick the trojan up inbetween may - june?? was it because the trojan was hiding and decided to pop out to let a decoy out to be deleted so i would think it would be safe? Im kinda paranoid about viruses, i dont deal well with them. I would try but noone has answered the hijack log post. thanks

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

It normally takes a few days to get a reply to a HighjackThis log. Those guys are always very busy. Please be patient.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

If you have submitted a HJT log and want the help of the HJT team don't make any changes as this will skew what they are reading. As Budapest has said the HJT team is inundated with logs and they work on a first come first serve basis, so please have patience.

Edit: I see that this is the second time that you have posted a HJT log, so you know the routine.

What are you running besides AVG? Do you have a firewall, spyware, malware?

Edited by dc3, 19 July 2007 - 02:09 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:36 AM

If you decide to reformat, please let the HJT Team know that you've done this - this will save work on your logfile and will let them get to the next person a bit sooner.

As for formatting your PC, a plain format and reinstall will most likely get rid of everything malicious that's on the computer. But if you want to be extra sure, download a free utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive to "low-level format" your hard drive. Then follow their instructions to prepare the disk for partitioning and a regular format. Once that's done you can use the Dell disk to reinstall your OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Vince86

Vince86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

ill wait for hijack log, i have avg,zone alarm, spybot, spyware blaster, windows defender, adaware, superantispyware, spydoctor and avg spyware.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

A lot of times, identity theft is caused by a "spoofed" website not malware. I got nailed once. I was in a hurry, found what I wanted, but didn't take the time to check them out fully. It was a legit site but a rather small "mom and pop" one, that wasn't all that current with security software. I had a bad feeling when I clicked to enter my cc#. Sure enough, a 1/2 hour later I get a call from a camera shop to verify my order. Luckily they had a policy to call on different shipping locations. I'm now much more careful
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Vince86

Vince86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

yea i know, but i dont believe i ever entered my credit info anywhere on a spoof site before. I usually goto legit websites to buy stuff, like barnes and noble etc. I dunno how this happen, maybe a site that i bought something from lost my info and all. But i detected a trojan on my computer so i am guessing its form that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users