Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Tecra 520cdt

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keith2556

Keith2556

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hi all

My friend bought the above laptop for his grandson (aged 7) to use. But, when he brought it to me to see what it had on it it booted up to the C:\ prompt having displayed the Windows 98 logo. I read the previous post on the subject and saw that all the ideas i have already had have been suggested. This machine won't acknowledge the cd drive, so I can't install any version of windows!!!!

Would it be likely to acknowledge a usb FDD if i plugged it in and loaded DOS 6.2 then tried to edit the autoexec and config.sys files to recognise the cd?? Also, as there are no disca with this laptop whatsoever, will just putting in the command line mscdex etc tell it what to do? I figure if I can get DOS on it then I can load windows. I have 3 98 startup discs (on floppy) and the full thing on cd, but I need to be able to access the CD drive first, obviously.

I get the feeling that this could cost me quite a bit and my mate would not want to pay much. Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

When I type the dir command I get: Volume in drive c has no label
Volume serial number is 364B-19F1
Directory of C:\

COMMAND COM 93.890 04-23-99 10:22p
1 file(s) 93,890 bytes
0 dir(s) 2,162,925,568 bytes free

This leads me to believe it has been formatted or fdisk-ed, but the windows 98 setup has stayed in the bios memory.
I have rest the bios to boot from cd first, rather than the HDD, but it can't if it doesn't recognise the CD ( Bleeping Computer is doing my head in)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:trumpet: :flowers: :thumbsup: :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

Download an ME bootdisk from bootdisk.com It will have generic CD drivers on it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

Here is the the original boot file for 98. toscdrom.exe
Here is the Toshiba link on how to boot all Teca model Toshiba notebooks. How to boot your Toshiba PC from CD-ROM, LAN, or diskette
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Keith2556

Keith2556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thanks guys, but I can only download these drivers onto my own computer, I can't transfer them across to the laptop, because it won't recognise anything except the C:\ drive.

It hasn't the usb drivers either to recognise my usb FDD, and it doesn't appear to have an ethernet card so i can't connect that way......

Am I stuffed?????? (Or am i just thick?)

:@
I don't like to think it's getting the better of me, but am i going to have to admit defeat?

Cheers guys

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:15 AM

Keith you will have to burn the files to a CD.
Have you looked in the BIOS to see how the boot order is set? Are you sure the CD is set to boot before the hard drive? According to the link you may not be able to boot the USB drive. As old as that computer is I would bet Not.

#6 Keith2556

Keith2556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Acklan,

Yup, you're right, it won't boot from the usb floppy drive. I've tried burning the files from the floppy on this comp to a cd, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
I've changed the boot preference in the BIOS to cd-rom then hdd, and even pressed c on power up, but it just goes back to the c:\ prompt with a load of c's after it!!! GRRR!

Somewhere along the line, it would appear the burn is not making the cd a bootable disc. I've looked everywhere for the right way to do it, but Vista won't help. Would it make a difference if i used a computer with XP on it instead do you think?

I know what i'm trying to do, the stupid thing just won't let me......

I refuse to be beaten, there must be a way. And i'm dammed if i'll let an inanimate object get the better of me, but so far all the battles are going the wrong way. The war isn't over yet!!!!

Regards

Keith

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

Try using CDBurnerXP to create a bootable cd. It is very easy to use.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

That series of tecra laptop was unable to boot from cd. the windows ME boot floppy could recognize the toshiba cdrom, and allow the files on it to be run.

1 boot with the windows me or windows 98 floppy, depending on which os originally came with the laptop, once you have the A:\ prompt, change to the C Drive:

2 CD\C:\

3 type {X:}dir /w at the c prompt, and find the setup program where X is the actual drive letter assigned to the CD ROM

4 type {X:setup}, enter and see if the re installation starts.

Edited by oldf@rt, 19 July 2007 - 10:21 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

That series of tecra laptop was unable to boot from cd. the windows ME boot floppy could recognize the toshiba cdrom, and allow the files on it to be run.

1 boot with the windows me or windows 98 floppy, depending on which os originally came with the laptop, once you have the A:\ prompt, change to the C Drive:

2 CD\C:\

3 type {X:}dir /w at the c prompt, and find the setup program where X is the actual drive letter assigned to the CD ROM

4 type {X:setup}, enter and see if the re installation starts.

That's the problem Brother, he does not have floppy built into that computer.

Keith can you change to the CD drive's directory? Enter D:\ at the C:\> prompt. If it will try typing setup.exe with the ME CD. f it shows the CD in the BIOS maybe the BIOS is enabling the CD just not booting to it.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:32 AM

That's the problem Brother, he does not have floppy built into that computer.

I didn't see that or I wouldn't have posted my response
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

It's no biggie.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

Sorry!! I assumed. all the ones that I have worked on had an internal floppy and cd. I have never been able to get any one of them to boot from cd.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

Like on desktop computers the BIOS battery needs replacing from time to time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users