Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop/start/taskbar Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Diamondz1981

Diamondz1981

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

Last night I was looking through websites when a window came up congratulating me or something to that effect on installing Mirar... I hadnt clicked any links or anything on any of the sites I visited except "next page" links etc (i was searching for graphics to use on myspace). I looked up info about Mirar and found that it is known to "stealth" download. It apparently brought a ton of other stuff with it.

Then my whole desktop disappeared - Icons, start button, taskbar, everything but the background image. I ran AdAware several times and it removed everything it found, but everytime I would run it it would find new things. I ran Norton AV and it found 6 diff things, and removed all but one, something called WWEXEC~1.exe that would show up in processes as WoW.exe. It couldnt delete or quarantine it. I found that after trying to search a folder through task manager/new task (and having it tell me that it couldnt find the drive/folder i was trying to search, or that it didnt exist) the desktop would return for only a few seconds at most, so after MANY tries i managed to open the control panel and go to add/remove programs, and deleted all the ones i knew werent supposed to be there, but that didnt fix it. I unchecked everything in msconfig - startup and rebooted but still no desktop. I really dont know what im doing, but ive tried everything I can think of. Ive run several different spyware/antivirus programs and they all find a ton of things and remove them, but not what was the problem i guess...

So, after hours of trying to figure it out on my own I hope someone here can help me. =( :thumbsup:

--- Im a little frustrated so if I left anything important you need to know out, tell me! lol

Oh almost forgot... my OS is Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

Have you tried the 15 day trial of Counterspy yet?

here is the info from their web site.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Diamondz1981

Diamondz1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

While waiting for a response I kept searching and trying to fix the problem. I ended up finding Trojan Remover which removed a lot of things that no other program would, and then downloaded VundoFix which got rid of the two remaining things that were stopping explorer.exe from running. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

Have you checked the links that I gave you? counterspy is especially effective at removing mirar, plus the other link gives the exact location of all its components. You should still clean out the machine to make sure there is nothing else still lurking. All about Windows XP System Restore.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users