Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 rexwesley

rexwesley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Every time my computer scans for spyware, the following appears: 207.net; advertising.com; atwola.com; doubleclick; revsci.net. I believe that that they are all low threat cookies but neverthess I would like to be able to remove them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:39 AM

Hello there and welcome to BleepingComputer. My name is Charles and I will be dealing with your log today.

I see you created a topic a while ago and posted your HijackThis log for inspection. So please can you scan with it for me, and post back the log in your reply. I would also like to know what scanner you are using that detects these threats, and if possible I would like a log from this too.

Thanks,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 rexwesley

rexwesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

Problem has been solved. Thanks for your response.

#4 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad you got your problem sorted out. Now that you're free from malware, please follow these simple steps to decrease the likelihood of getting re-infected again:

Set your system to not show all files.
Navigate to Start | My Computer | Tools | Folder Options.
Select the View tab. Under the "Hidden Files and Folders" heading, select "Show hidden files and folders".
Check: Hide file extensions for known file types
Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Please navigate to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download all the "critical updates" for Windows. This can patch many of the security holes through which attackers can gain access to your computer.
Either enable 'Automatic Updates' under Start | Control Panel | Automatic Updates, or get into the habit of checking for Windows updates regularly. I cannot stress enough how important this is.

In order to protect yourself against spyware, you should consider installing and running the following free programs:
Ad-Aware SE
A tutorial on using Ad-Aware to remove spyware from your computer may be found here.
Spybot-Search & Destroy
A tutorial on using Spybot to remove spyware from your computer may be found here. Please also remember to enable Spybot's "Immunize" and "TeaTimer" features.
SpywareBlaster
A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.
Make sure to keep these programs up-to-date and to run them regularly, as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place
Thanks and happy computing,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 rexwesley

rexwesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

Roadrunner provides "CA Security" which contains a firewall, antivirus, antispyware, etc. Do I need extra security software? I know it's recommended to only use one antivirus program. But should I use more than one antispyware program? Thanks.

#6 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:06 AM

The choice is, of course, up to you what you install on the computer, but I would definately reccommend having a couple of antispyware scanners that you run every now and again. Personally, I would say that Ad-Aware is the best one out of the ones I listed, and is certainly one of the most popular.

Edited by rookie147, 21 July 2007 - 02:06 AM.

Posted Image

#7 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is now closed.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending me a Personal Message including a link to your thread.
This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users