Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Well I just installed Kubuntu Feisty (dual-boot) and I have a lot of questions. (i'm starting to wish I had installed Ubuntu)

1. Can anybody tell me the basic commands used in the shell Konsole? (i know a few, like "cd", how to unzip tar.gz files, and... "exit")
2. Does Windows really despise Linux? Or is that just a rumor?
3. I'm trying to install Stepmania (a free DDR program for the comp) and it DOES have a Linux installation. However, I really don't know how to install it. The manual says you need DirectX, but I only have Wine.
4. Is Suspend and Hibernate exactly like Standby? Or is one different from the other?
5. How do you even install programs? To install Mozilla Firefox, I had to use the Adept Manager, and I doubt that has all the programs that Kubuntu can run.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

1) a list of Commands can be found here. if your looking for a specific one let us know what you want to do.

2) Yes and No. Will reinstalling Windows wipe your Linux Install? Possibly (actually very likely if they are on the same hard drive). Is Microsoft out to kill OpenSource and GNU software? We dont know. MS is making moves on both sides of the board here teaming with Novell and suing for copyright infringement at the same time.

3)You will most likely need to install DirectX using Wine. although I'm not sure.

4)Suspend is like Standby. Hibernate is like Hibernate (its on a separate menu in Windows that you can acess by hitting ctrl(?) when acessing the shutdown window). Suspend means to Suspend to Hard Drive and Hibernate saves all your settings and shuts the computer down in a way that allows for faster reboots.

5).deb files will open in KPackage and install themselves just like installers in windows. Automatix2 offers your Codecs for MP3,WMV and other non-free (proprietary) file types. and many other programs. (Follow the Kubuntu install instructions for Automatix2 otherwise it will not work right)

Make sure you enable all the Repositories. See the Ubuntu Forums for how to do this. (There is close to 3,000 packages available for ubuntu in their Repos alone)

Posted Image

#3 sharpe95

sharpe95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, this is a lot of help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users