Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Piggyback A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jadeiyz70

jadeiyz70

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

My system was not recognizing anything - monitor- keyboard - mouse. I replaced the power supply - not it - tried the video card - not it. Motherboard is toast. I was told that to retrieve my info off my hard drive that I could piggy back it into my other system - I do not know how to do this.

Help!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

first disconnect your PC from the mains a supply. Open the system case (if it's an upright 'under the desk' case, remove both side-panels). Remove the power-cable and the flat ribbon cable from the hard disk. Remove four screws which hold the disk in place (two each side). Slide out the disk. At the back of the disk you'll see a row of 3 or 4 pairs of pins with a black 'jumper' across two of them - this is where you configure the disk as 'master' or 'slave'. For your purposes it needs to be set to 'slave'. There should be a diagram on the drive, near the back, or some small markers near the configuration pins, showing where you need to place the jumper to make it the slave, so slide the jumper off it's present position and reposition it accordingly.

Now disconnect your other PC and remove side panels on that. Find the flat ribbon cable that goes to the hard disk. There should be another (unused) connector on it, approx halfway along it's length, and a spare bay under or above the existing drive. Slide your disk into that bay and use the screws you removed from the other PC to hold the drive in place at both sides of the PC chassis. Another final check that the drive retaining screws each side of the drive bay are tight (but don't overdo it!)

Now get hold of that spare ribbon connector and push it home squarely and firmly into the wide socket at the back of the disk, with the red stripe on the flat cable nearest to the power socket on the disk. Now find a spare white molex connector (the larger of the two sizes) which should be hanging from the bundle of wires inside the PC and connect that to the drive's power connector (it's shaped to fit only one way with the corner-cutouts at the top). Make sure the flat ribbon connector and molex power connector are attached firmly to the drive.

Replace the sides of the pc case. Connect to the mains and power it up. The PC should automatically detect the slave drive and it should be visible as a new drive letter in Windows 'My Computer'.

Edited by pip22, 18 July 2007 - 05:33 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

Hi jadeiyz70 and welcome to bleeping computer.

Pip22 put a lot of time and effort into his post, but sometimes it is easier if you have pictures to go along with the instructions, for that reason I've supplied this link.

Edited by dc3, 18 July 2007 - 09:52 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users