Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware 2007 Vs. The Previous Version, Which Better?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barlow

barlow

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hullo,
I'd like the opinion of the "experts" on this board on their opinion of which version of Ad-Aware is prefered. The new 2007? or the "old" one?
Appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Mahalo!
:thumbsup:

Moved from the "All other Applications" Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 18 July 2007 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

I have ceased to recommend the new version because of what I see as significant problems with its functioning, the size of the download, and what seems to be a certain amount of clunkiness--- at least on my computer.
As long as the older version is supported, and the definitions are updated, I can see no valid reason for upgrading to V7. Other Members may have an entirely different take on my remarks, though.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

I'm not an expert, but maybe this will help...
I agree with jgweed. It looks to me that the only significant changes occur on the subscription level. If you are just using the free version, the only difference is a moderate change in the UI. If the "old" version works and you don't intend to purchase, I wouldnt worry about upgrading yet.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:17 AM

I'd strongly advise anyone thinking of installing AdAware 2007 to spend some time reading the posts responding to it on the Lavasoft forum during the last few weeks.
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=146
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#5 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

Ad-Aware 2007 since an update today is becoming more stable.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#6 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:19 AM

Ad-Aware 2007 since an update today is becoming more stable.

That may be so, but I'd still recommend anyone considering installing AdAware2007 to spend 10 minutes looking through the recent posts on the Lavasoft forum before deciding.

Edited by Alan D, 25 July 2007 - 10:20 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#7 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

There is a position had with this particular discussion that borders on the importance of an updated application or perhaps even an updating ability entirely.That would be the only real measure by which all else maybe measured by and that is by the effectiveness of the respective scan.There are at least two critically important areas in the construct or programming of a particular application,one is the capacity to update regularly and two would be the versatility as to where and how to employ its scanning properties. If there is any mitigating circumstances to a particular application and this is in software that particular application is limited as to its availability and presumably its effectiveness as a scanner.This is more important than one thing to another because appearances dont mean much if we still are overwhelmed by the very same problems as before.It is generally regarded that a company when it updates provides for an increased capacity to ward off and detect with increased vigor,though updating provides for a closing of ranks it also and just as well see's to the applications ability to provide an improved scanning ability.I think ultimately that is what we are in fact looking at and that before long 6 will begone with 7 being the more effective edition.This though is merely an opinion at a glance and not due to in close experience of recent scanning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users