Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Repair & Rearrange Xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hi Folks,

I need some urgent help.

Problem & Situation: For some reason my computer has been crashing nineteen to the dozen and has become extremely unstable. To cope up with the crashes I also downloaded the WinDebug Tools from MS, but have been unable to locate and fix the problem as my system refuses to generate a Dumpfile, though I made sure it is entered correctly under System Properties | Start Restore | Debug Information.

Most common errors are KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and several other Unknown Hard Errors etc. I usually then ran a CHKDSK to get the system up and running, but it kept crashing again and again sometimes 1-3 times a day or sometimes after 2-3 days. In the course of Checkdisk I realised that it was not able to go through all the 5 phases, but always managed to complete 3 phases when started under C: Properties | Tools | Check Disk wherein you have 2 boxes to and if select both then it runs through 5 phases and if you check the box for Reair only then it goes through 3 Phases. There is some data it has been unable to restore, though the computer did not cause any operation problems while running it. Yesterday, it started crashing by the hour.

I tried to repair it and it wouldn't even run a checkdisk completely and began to hang around in phase II at different percentages at different times. In all the hectic desperation of fixing it I deleted some files from the Start Files in the command prompt. Now it won't start at all. I get the error: The file \windows\system32\config\system is damaged or missing. You may use the recovery CD and choose the option "R" to start the machine (or something to that effect - my machine has a German version of XP Home). I know that this file is supposed to be in the special "repair" folder available in the DOS mode. On checking the folder the file "system" is missing there also.

I have now installed XP as a fresh copy on Partition D which basically the Backup drive and am therefore able to get back online and communicating with you.

I have a single 200 GB HD which has 3 partitions C: Boot which is where the troubled Installation is, D: Backup where there there are a few other programmme back files Like MSOFFICE 2003 and few other unimportant files apart from the new XP and then I also have a E: Recovery which contains a full set of all CAB Files of the installation. It is also equipped of with Power Quest with which you can restore the computer to original factory installation or revert to original drivers or even restore Start files. But to my dismay, this option did not restore the missing start file/s. I still get the same error about the missing file as mentioned above.

Naturally, I do not want to have 2 versions running on the machine. I would like to restore the original installation, then wipe it out (tabula rasa) and re-install again on C: as I get back to original factory settings and then install other programmes and applications afresh. Of course I would have to transfer most of the contents to D:Backup in order not to loose it as the "turn back" function wipes out everything.

What do you advice me do so that I can achieve as requested above?

Edited by Bobang, 18 July 2007 - 08:42 AM.

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

I would start with running sfc /scannow. You will have to have your Windows disk to complete this task.

Window's System File Checker (sfc)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

I ran SFC Scannow, but it does not do anything i.e. the dialogue box simply vanishes after I click OK.

Right now I am on the new installation on partition D: scannow will not show or do anything as it is a fresh installation only 2 hours or so old. How can I login on the old installation. Scannow may fix up something there as I did not run it on that partition yesterday.

Another question: what will happen when I shut down and restart the PC? Will it give me an option as to which installation I can login or will there be a conflict. I did not shut after installing and don't want to unless I know how it will behave. I am glad to be online at the moment. Otherwise, like seems so bleak...!

Bobang

in all things be men

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

If you reboot you should be presented with a menu for you to select which OS you want.

One thing you could try is a repair install on the original OS.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the link. I had tried the Charlie Whites method hoping to get into the System Restore Library, but that is what got me into trouble as I deleted the files, and when trying to copy out fresh files from "repair" I got an error that the file did not exist. I then checked "repair" by unhiding the attributes and found there was no file "system"! This was according to the older version of article which I had printed out just for such an occassion some time last year. I did not know there was a modification to it..

I think you may be right about repair installing and I will attempt to do that, but will use the method by Langa: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=189400897
which in my opinion explains the process in a much better way (imho). Only will have to make a single CD with the XP and SP2 first. Will do that tonight.

Bobang

in all things be men

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

Langa's method will work just as well as the Michael Stevens method - Also, the Windows Supersite by Paul Therriott and the Windows Reinstall site both have excellent explanations.

Slipstreaming SP2 isn't essential, but it'll speed up the installation for you (since you won't have to do a separate install of the SP on top of the XP install).

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x77
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7a
UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x218

Many different reasons for these errors, so some more troubleshooting is called for. Also, is your pagefile at least the size of your RAM and is it located on the same drive as the installation that's causing the errors (if not, dump files won't be generated).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 katabby

katabby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

I disagree with the above post.
If you are doing a repair as per the Langa method you MUST slipstream xp+sp2.
Trust me, been there done that.easy way to slipstream at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...ostreamer.shtml
it is freeware

Edited by katabby, 19 July 2007 - 07:42 AM.

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

This is more of a question than a solution....

Why can't the user copy his working (D:) partition to the (C:) partition (after formatting it) and then boot to (C:) and likewise format (D:) ?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

jwinathome,

I'm not sure myself, but if you did that wouldn't the registry be full of references to files on the D: drive that would no longer exist?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

Good point.

#11 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

Hello Folks and thanks a lot for the tips. I was unable to get back trying to solve this nut, but continue to have this problem. Here is what I did and tried:

1. I was logged in on installation 2 which I had created on partition D. So I wanted to use the Langa method to repair in place after trying the various methods to repair which also failed, but the problem was that I couldn't get to slipstream SP2 and the Recovery CD. I could not access Nero. Nevertheless, I still wanted to try without slipstreaming as I also have SP2 on a CD from Microsoft. (I cannot therefore say whether the method works or not without slipstreaming). Before anything else I decided to copy the Documents and Settings to an external drive as these were accessible as far as copying is concerned. The thing started, but at the very end it crashed again. However, I checked and it had indeed copied the complete folder along with My Documents. The Shared Documents Folder, I left untouched as it has nothing important on it. That was the first part of safety. So I again logged in on D and this time I copied the programs folder from C: (drive which is in doldrums) to the external drive. This time it crashed again after having copied the Folder just like in the previous case. I started again using the Recovery CD and opted to repair install in place. To my surprise it gave me a single option to repair, the installation on D!!! There was no option to repair the installation on C. Very frustrating. Only other option available to me now was to install totally anew at C or D or E. I wasn't interested in that nightmare under any circumstances.

2. With the critical data safely tucked away, I went ahead and rolled back the system to factory settings (which uses the contents on the Recovery Drive E: and a Support & Application CD from Power Quest supplied by the manufacturer). This time every thing went well and it installed Microsoft XP Home Edition SP1 and immediately I added the SP2 with the CD.

3. So I decided to update the browser and change it IE7 and the WMP (version 9) to version 11. It also made a new validation to genuine software etc. and downloaded some 75 odd windows updates. This went on all without a hitch. Now I proceeded to get rid of the totally useless and junk ballast the manufacturer places on your computers. I then removed the prior versions and parts of MS Office (Word, Works Suite etc) and installed my MS Office 2003. I have to remove these or else there are conflicts within Office. Again it validated for genuine software and it identified the required updates, downloaded and installed these. Now at the very end it downloaded some updates for Outlook 2003 including the critical junk mail updates, started to install these and BANG!!! THE SYSTEM CRASHED AGAIN. Error: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

4. I eventually got the system up and running again. However, upon starting I noticed that it does not give me the option to select the installation on D. It did not finish, just before starting it was down again with a hard error. So I used the Recovery CD and chose the option R for Repair Console. This time it showed me the second installation as an option D:\WINDOWS>. I chose the 2. installation and entered the command "EXIT" to start that installation, but to my utter surprise upon starting wanted to scan disk the E which is a FAT 32 recovery drive. This stupefied me, but I let it scan which it could not finish and it crashed again.

5. I repeated the same procedure, opted for installation on D as above, but this time it started the installation C and loaded it successfully, but that did not last long and it crashed again.

6. During the course of writing this it has already crashed two times.

7. I think it will only be appropriate to tell you something of the recent past. The system came only 512 MB RAM which sufficed me to begin with, but as time passed and the machine was getting quite slower I wanted to increase the RAM. Max possible was 2 GB and I bought 2 x 1024 MB from GSkill hoping to run this as a dual channel basis. All the parameters pointed out that this was possible. Eventually, I found out that it was showing only an increase of ca. 15% performance which was nothing. To my utter disgust I found out that manufacturer had saved costs and installed a rudimentary version of MSI MS 7043 and called it MSI MS 7042. They had simply removed the dual channel capability from the Motherboard. It cannot run on dual channel. I further researched and found that there were 3 variations to this board and only 1 from these can operate in dual channel the other 2 simply don't have the ability. So I decided on replacing it with another, but they don't fit into the case. So have to buy a new case as well. This one has a card reader and convenient bus and firewire slots on the front end. Other MoBos that would fit - do not have the ability to attach the card reader etc. So, one is sort of stuck with this sick MoBo.

8. One tech also said that the system will not run well with 2 GB RAM sticks inside. I have now tested it on 1 x 512 MB; 2 x 512 MB; 1 x 1024 MB and 2 x 1024 MB. In all these cases it crashes without fail. So I doubt if that is the cause.

9. It does not record a Crashdump so that one could check with WinDbg and know where or what the fault is or look in the right direction. In the EventViewer there is no hint whatsoever.

10. It all started sometime in May/June as I reformatted where not all went so smoothly and had a Trojan on board. After that it was all the way downhill..

Usasma, thank you for the various links which I had already noted for reading sometime in the future (wish I had) but never really got to reading. But now that you remind me of them, I will definitely look in there. May be there is that final clue.

I am sorry that this has become a long narrative, but I wanted you to see complete picture. I welcome any further suggestions and am sure willing to try them as the my data is safe now on a an exteranl drive.

Bobang

in all things be men

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users