Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GreyKitten

GreyKitten

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

My son's friend tried to attach his mobile to my laptop. I'm not sure of what happened but the next day my son told me that there was a problem with the computer.

When I try to open using last good configuration I get the message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

If I try to open in safe mode I get a long list of messages saying

multi(0)disk(o)partition(2)\Windows\system32\Drivers-------------.sys

............... indicates various driver names.

Can't get past these screens - F8 doesn't work!!!!!!!!

Help please!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:24 AM

Hello GreyKitten and welcome to Bleeping Computer,

You should try running check-disk (chkdsk /r) from the recovery console. If you are unsure how to do this please post back and we can give you more detailed instructions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 GreyKitten

GreyKitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

Not at all sure how to do that, Budapest!

Thanks for replying - all help gratefully received (or I may have to take dire retribution on son's friend!)

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so. NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER (note the space between the "k" and the "/".
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

I got this information from this Microsoft website. Let us know how it goes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 GreyKitten

GreyKitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:49 AM

Thank you so much - I'll give it a go tonight and I'll post results and let you know how I got on!

Don't know if you're actually from Budapest but if you are give it a wave from me - I've had many wonderful New Years there and love it a lot!

Thanks again for your help!

:thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xed

The Unmountable Boot Volume means that the system can't mount the volume (disk) that's needed to boot the system. There's many causes for this - disk corruption being the most common (and the chkdsk that Budapest recommends should help there). Other issues are bad cabling, a failing hard drive, or corrupt drivers (not in any particular order). There's more things to check, so let us know how the chkdsk worked and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users