Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Cpu Cycles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 digger10k

digger10k

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

Hi

HELLP!!

This is a problem I have been having for about 8 mos & it seems to be getting worse. Occasionally (& more often depending on how much & many Windows Explorer type tasks I'm doing) CPU cycles will will shoot thru the roof.

I read something somewhere about a Widows update having to do with svchost. In fact there were 2, 3 or 4 of them, each trying to fix the same high cpu cycles thing having to do with the explorer process, but not entirely helping. But I cannot find it now.

I am running Windows XP Pro on an AMD box. All updates. AV is AVG Free. Firewall is Comodo Pro free. Also Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster. Also Robin Keir's freeware & Sysinternals freeware. Firefox is my primary browser.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

Download Dimio's DTaskManager and see if you can identify which programs each schost go to.
Post the results here for review.

Edited by acklan, 18 July 2007 - 08:56 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 digger10k

digger10k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Download Dimio's DTaskManager and see if you can identify which programs each schost go to.
Post the results here for review.

Thank you, acklan for your reply.

I have Process Explorer installed with which I am very familiar. But I am not absolutely sure what you mean by "which programs each go to".

I'll surmise that you mean the command line and/or the services registered for each (I have 3 svchost processes currently running). They are:

(1) command line = x*:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss
services = x*:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll

(2) command line = x*:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
services = about 25 of them on this instance of the process

(3) command line = x*:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
services = x*:\WINDOWS\system32\wiaservc.dll

* obscures actual drive letter (which in all cases is the same system drive)

Sorry, if this is not what your looking for. Will try to provide if you can clarify.

Hope your on to something here, acklan. I had a much longer post originally but changed it. Maybe it will clarify (or confuse), if you want to see it).

Thanks, again.

BTW, DTaskManager looks interesting & I may try it. Especially if it can better provide the info you need.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Try TEMPORARILY disabling Windows Updates and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, let us know and we'll check for the workaround that's been published.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 digger10k

digger10k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

Try TEMPORARILY disabling Windows Updates and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, let us know and we'll check for the workaround that's been published.

Thanks, usasma, but for me, Windows Updates done manually is & has been for a long time the only way to go.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

Sorry, if this is not what your looking for. Will try to provide if you can clarify.

I was referring to the folder that the scvhost are in. Virus use names of legit fill to hide their real nature.
I do not see any thing out the ordinary. The "x*:\WINDOWS\system32\wiaservc.dll" is part of Window's Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and is necessary.
The "x*:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll" is also part of Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (RPC). It too is necessary.
If you list the other 25 entries we could go over them.

Edited by acklan, 18 July 2007 - 08:25 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 digger10k

digger10k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

If you list the other 25 entries we could go over them.

OK. But will have to leave that for tomorrow. Will have to open up an account on an image sharing site somewhere as, like I said, there 25 of them & I hate typing. Unless I can just upload a picture right from my PC. But don't see an option for that. I'll be back.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

Are you notified of updates being available by Windows? If so, then the Windows Update service is still running. If you have to manually surf to Windows Update to check for updates, then it's shut off.

If you only have 3 instances of svchost.exe running, there's likely to be somthing missing. I've got 5 of them in my brand new XP install. What are the User Names for each svchost.exe process (I've got 2 Network Service, 2 System, and 1 Local Service)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

Some areas to look at:

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/cau...-cpu-usage.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users