Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning Files To A Dvd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

I've tried asking this on several different sites, and no one seems to understand what I'm asking. So I'm going to just try it again here and make myself perfectly clear:

I bought a DVD-R drive, and bought a spool of blank DVD-Rs. I want to burn some files to the DVDs. NOT videos, just regular files like text documents, ZIP archives, and the like. When I do this with a CD-R, all I do is put in the blank CD, open My Computer, navigate to the burner drive, and drag-and-drop my files into that. Then I hit "Burn these files to CD", go through the wizard, and everything works just fine.

Now, when I try to this with a blank DVD, I'll get to the drag-and-drop part, and windows throws an error message at me, saying the files could not be copied. I checked to make sure that the files would fit, and they were small enough.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it to stop giving me this error and just copy the flippin' files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

In the section here at BC, All other Applications, there is a thread for freeware replacements, I saw THIS. I don't know if that will work. I use a program, it's not free, called Copy to DVD. Good luck, hope one these works for you. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

Are you using XP's burning program? I think it only works for CDs.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

You are correct mommabear, Windows XP doesn't contain built-in support for burning DVDs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

Install DeepBurner as previously mentioned, or CD BurnerXP Pro, those are your best free programs for burning DVDs.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users