Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plz Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kvn66

kvn66

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

hi i have an e machines-e monster 550 win. 98se pentium III computer. it's acting weird. it does not read either of my cd rom drives. at all. i have a default factory dvd rom drive, and a TDK cd burner my dad installed before the pc was mine. the weirdest thing is the drives both worked fine till about 3 weeks ago. we gfot the computer in 1999 and installed the burner not too long after. the web doesnt work either so i cant download anytghing to it. :thumbsup: if anyone can give me info plz do.

ty, kvn66

MOD EDIT: Added topic description ~ stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 17 July 2007 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:13 AM

I'm not a pro at this, but...

That last bit about the web not working... do you have any other machines there that can connect? If so, then its possible that your eMachines has a motherboard issue. But keep reading...

The first thing you could try is to see if its a problem with Windows, or a problem with hardware.

Get into the BIOS and see if the drives are recognized there. If the BIOS wont see them, neither will windows.

If the BIOS doesnt see them, then try updating it (if possible). Then open the case and make sure the IDE cables are snugly connected.

If the BIOS does see them, then check your IDE config:
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/techinfo2.htm#no-cdrom

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

Drivers have been known to be lost in the BIOS when the motherboard battery goes bad. If you have an onboard NIC that may also may be the problem.
If you have not changed you BIOS battery in the last 24 months you may want to do this first.

Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users