Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Access Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

I am fixing my co-workers computer, something went wrong with the harddrive and they are unable to boot up Windows XP but I do have access to their files but for some reason her husbands files, won't let me open the docs/pics, I am assuming when he set up the computer he made his User Admin. Private, preventing me to copy/view his files, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:22 AM

How are you trying to access the files?

If you hooked the HDD to another computer then you may need to take ownership of the files.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:35 AM

I have their harddrive hooked up to my computer as a third drive, I have two already installed in mine obviously, I have tried that, I can view the files, but for instant if I try to open blahblah.doc, it open Word but doesn't give me access to the file

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:39 AM

Can you copy the files over to another HDD and access them from there?

When you try to open the files do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

yes I have tried that, it won't let me because I don't have "access privelegees" when I open the doc/ or pics it says the same thing

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

If you don't have ownership of the files, you won't be able to work with them. Then, if you still can't access anything, then it's the "set as private" issue - and that will take a different set of procedures to recover them (if it's indeed the use of the EFS encryption).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

I put the files under "my ownership" on the computer, and so it must be the "set as private" issue, what can I do to obtain access of the files?

#8 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

Update- I was able to get his music files and most of his pics the only things I am unable to get access are his word/excel ext. docs any suggestions?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:22 AM

Try searching google for "recover efs files" or something similar - there's ways to do this, but I haven't used any of the tips myself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users