Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Ie Windows Opening

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 likealady

likealady

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

I think I have an extremely old virus or something on my laptop. I noticed getting it about a year ago but I didn't use my laptop as much back then so I never bothered getting rid of it. About a month or two ago I installed a fresh and clean (full format) version of Vista (Home Premium) on my laptop and immediately noticed the same virus or whatever it is bugging me. Before I was even connected to the internet (because of wireless issues) I had a zillion IE windows open.

It randomly opens IE or FireFox windows. They all point to my home page which is Google and I noticed that when I close 1 window 10 more show up. Sometimes nothing happens at all but sometimes they just keep opening one after another. It's getting extremely annoying and I don't know what to do.

I use FireFox as my main browser, I use NOD32 and I also have ad-aware 2007. I've done lots of scans and nothing ever shows up. Could anyone possibly tell me why in the world these IE windows are opening and how to get them to stop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:01 AM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:10 AM

This sounds to me like a hardware problem. I have heard of similar behaviour being caused by either a faulty keyboard or mouse.

Cleaning Laptop Keyboard
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 likealady

likealady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Well that program made my laptop shut off on me twice so I uninstalled it. I also took my keyboard apart and gave it a good cleaning but it's still going that.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

I would try a different scanner, hopefully this will work: Please run a BitDefender Online Scan
  • Click I Agree to agree to the EULA.
  • Allow the ActiveX control to install when prompted.
  • Click Click here to scan to begin the scan.
  • Please refrain from using the computer until the scan is finished. This might take a while to run, but it is important that nothing else is running while you scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click on Click here to export the scan results.
  • Save the report to your desktop so you can post it in your next reply.
The virus must be tenacious if it is shutting off wour machine when running the SAS scan. Try to run the sas scan in SAFE mode.

If bit defender comes up clean, you will need to post a hijack this log.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users