Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Delete This File From My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JM77

JM77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

How do I erase this file off of my computer?

I am running windows vista and I have a file that is corrupted. McAfee is telling me that it has detected a buffer overflow in location C:\Windows\System32\DIIHo... The file that I'm trying to delete is in :
C:\Users\John and Amanda\Desktop\Video

When I try to delete it says that it can't because the file is open in another program and it is not. I've tried Task Manager, deleting it in DOS mode and nothing works. Could someone please walk me through how I should be trying to delete it in DOS mode.

I've tried that "Unlocker" program and also MoveOnBoot.

When I say walk me through, I mean step by step and based on the file information I've provided, show me exactly what to type. I'm a newbie. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Any ideas here? PLEASE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

Try this:
Open Notepad.
In the toolbar, click File, and select Save As...
Give it the exact same name as the bad file, including the extension (.txt, .doc, etc.).
Save it to the Desktop folder, which is located at, C:\Documents and Settings\your username\.
It will give you a warning, saying that file already exists in that folder, do you want to replace it.
Click the Yes button.
Check to see if the bad file, was replaced by the empty file.
If so, just delete the empty file.

I had a file like that at one time, and was only able to remove it with Unlocker, but it was in a round-about way.
It wasn't too hard for me to do, because all of my downloads go into a special folder, for AV scanning, so the folder didn't contain much.
It will be a little more involved in your case, but I'll explain the process, in case you want to try it.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\your username\
Create a folder, and call it Desktop1.
Move all of your shortcuts/files from your Desktop folder, into the Desktop1 folder, leaving only the bad file.
Use Unlocker to delete the Desktop folder, not the contents, but the whole folder.
Once it's gone, rename Desktop1 to Desktop.
You may have to double-click one of the shortcuts, in the Desktop folder, to reset your desktop.

Unlocker might not be able to remove that file, but it should be able to remove the folder containing it.

In the future, I suggest you create a special folder for downloads, then once they are scanned, move them to a permanent location.
That way, if you have this problem again, it won't be a hassle to just delete the whole folder, using Unlocker, then re-create it.

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of to try, is this MS article:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users